New Lasalle Rules

Started by KeithS, 02 March 2021, 11:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithS

Anyone using, or planning to use, the new Lasalle 2 rules from Sam Mustapha?  I bought a copy and it has encouraged me to get into 10mm Napoleonics, although It might be a while before I get to play as I have a lot of painting to do first.  :( I might just use the bases unadorned by actual figures as a block game in the interim, not the same as figures, but any port in a storm.
I'll bring up the rest of the brigade.

goat major

What level of game are these aimed at ? I currently use my 10mm figures as 1 base = brigade using DBN, but i think that's nearer to a Blucher type battle?
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

KeithS

07 March 2021, 01:54:26 PM #2 Last Edit: 07 March 2021, 01:56:46 PM by KeithS
They are probably best described as grand tactical.  The basic unit is made up of battalions, which are composed of 4 bases (infantry and cavalry) for different formations line, attack column, march column and square for example.  These are grouped into brigades, divisions and probably the largest game would be a corps level, although division level would likely be more usual.  The number of figures on a base is entirely up to you as is the base size, the constraint on the base size is that the battlefield is generally assumed to be a 6x4 grid with each grid square being 6 base widths.  So if you choose a 2" base width the individual squares will be 1' and the table will be 6'x4', obviously you can choose a smaller (or larger) table with a smaller (or larger) base width; or a smaller (or larger) base width and adjust the table size accordingly.  The base width also acts as the unit of movement, ranging, etc. rather than fixed distances id inches or cm.  In reality your chosen physical  base width doesn't have to exactly match the notional base width for sizing the table, movement etc. but should be as close as possible and ideally the same for consistency.  For example I am probably going to use a 4x2 cm base with 10mm figures 8 to a base in 2 ranks of 4 to give a decent look for a battalion, however, since I am very limited in my table size I will use a notional 3cm base size to give a square of 18cm and a table size of 108cm X 72cm.  This is probably stretch in terms of the relative physical to notional base size, and I will probably not manage larger corps size battles, but needs must!
I'll bring up the rest of the brigade.

Chad

I am looking at them for the French Revolution.

DecemDave

I've bought them.  I am awaiting the non-kickstarter deluge joining my Nap unpainted pile so it will probably be next year before I actually play .   using paper trial is a good idea.

Coming from a DBx ancients background , I'm finding the proliferation of basing conventions in Naps bewildering.  There are several though that use the 4 stands per unit approach.   I need a cunning plan - like making more bases for black powder type games and then removing some to play the 4 stands rules and more for the base=unit games like Blucher and ESR.  I'm less bothered whether each stand is 1", 30mm, 40mm wide .  That I can fudge.