Command question

Started by Amra, 02 March 2021, 08:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amra

Hi All ,
A unit of 5 tanks is divided into 2 order groups .
The Commander issues orders to group 1 ,finishes and moves onto group 2 .
Assuming he's in range are there any modifiers ?

We were playing its however many commands he has already issued , but the rules seem to say otherwise
If there's no penalty what's to stop ordering the tanks 1 by 1 ,( each with a plus 1 if Rigid Russians )

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Ordering each tank one by one would be rather gammey. Yes you are right there are no modifyers apart from distance when changing from 1 group to another, but it can't be done if the command stand has failed. My interpretation of rigid doctrine would say that it applies to whole units so battalions or independent companies (I'm using the British Army interpetatrion of "Unit") and not individual bases, I suspect that is what was intended. Of course iuf you are playing at compoany level then your platoons would be units. Hope that helps

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Assuming that the initial set of Commands (to tank group A) were successful, and that you voluntarily chose to then drop that group (which cannot then be ordered again this game turn), you can pick up the command of Group B (& or C, D, E etc) as you wish - as long as you pass a successful Command roll each time.
Each roll of the Command dice gains the +1 for same order and Rigid Tac.Doc.

But personally I can see no advantage to what you are suggesting - It doesn't protect you from a failed Command roll, as the moment that HQ fails it cannot then order the other command Groups anyway. Even if you only want 1 group to move (maybe to draw enemy fire) whilst the others are held back to allow them to be ordered to fire back, you still need successful command rolls to allow you to do that. Also remember you can drop units from a Command group if you choose to do so.
So for example ...
You have 10 T34's in a Command Group - you order all 10 to move and roll successfully to do so. 5 of those T34's remain with the initial Command radius of the HQ at the end of the 1st move. You could therefore drop the other 5 (that would make the whole command group subject to a -1 distance command penalty, on-top of the -1 2nd order penalty) and just order the 5 that are within distance to move again.

As I say, I am not really sure what you are looking to achieve by commanding each tank as a different command group, unless they are each doing something different?

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Amra

Thanks everyone

So , a good point ,once the CO fails its over . No moving on to the next Command group. Thanks

In my example the Rigid bonus applies to each tank ? We felt like Ian, that it should only apply when all the units under the COs command do the same thing as a singular orders group , but I don't think that's what the rules say...

I'm not sure its an advantage but this means 3 Russian tanks can activate one after the other ,do different things & all benefit from a plus 1 , providing their Commander doesn't fail a roll & simply moves on .

I don't think I'm at the level of working out tactics ,I just want to make sure I understand the mechanics :)

Big Insect

Quote from: Amra on 02 March 2021, 10:47:02 AM
Thanks everyone
So , a good point ,once the CO fails its over . No moving on to the next Command group. Thanks

In my example the Rigid bonus applies to each tank ? We felt like Ian, that it should only apply when all the units under the COs command do the same thing as a singular orders group , but I don't think that's what the rules say...

I'm not sure its an advantage but this means 3 Russian tanks can activate one after the other ,do different things & all benefit from a plus 1 , providing their Commander doesn't fail a roll & simply moves on .

I don't think I'm at the level of working out tactics ,I just want to make sure I understand the mechanics :)

The same Order is generally taken to mean - all Move, all Fire, all units Stop and Dismount; all guns Dig-in etc. All of these (examples) would qualify for the Rigid Tac.Doc +1 to the CV.

I agree, that by ordering each tank separately each gets the +1 to the CV  but you do increase the risk of failed commands or blunders (or Command bonuses) with each command roll.
Generally this works better with larger formations with many units/vehicles. But also remember that once the Command unit drops a specific tank/unit, you cannot go back and issue it with another order, after you have ordered other units.  So you are limiting your units to single actions per game-turn this way. But that is your call  :D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Amra