FAO Question

Started by Amra, 28 February 2021, 02:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amra

Hi All ,
Several more games in and our coven are all still enjoying the rules .
We have been playing a move to contact an FAO ( by say , an infantry platoon ) as an overrun.
The thought being that its a Command element and if it survives going backwards is a penalty (further away form targets = more deviation)
But ,have we been doing it right ?
Would we use overrun on a sniper too?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Yes that's how I would do it. Command elements can only be close assaulted  or hit by indirect fire, except mortars.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Yup, that is correct - you also over-run Snipers

Recce units need to be assaulted and are the only 'Command' units that can evade - but equally Recce units are often hard nuts to fight in an assault - in CWC I've seen Canadian Lynx recce vehicles murder a number of attacking Soviet Infantry unit (them having a 40mm chain-gun is always helpful though!!!)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Zinkala

Why do Command Units have a CA value if they don't use it? Reading the command overrun rules I don't see that they attack back when being assaulted. Or is it played as a normal close assault except that they always count as being in the open and run away fast (10cm/hit) if not knocked out?

Somewhere I thought I read that Command Units couldn't be targeted unless they were the closest unit to the enemy. We've been playing that if they get out in front they can be shot at with 6s needed to hit. After reading this thread I started checking and can't find anything saying that. Wondering where I dreamed it up from. The 6s to hit is only for aircraft and off board artillery attacks? Do they also lose their save (6) when hit by aircraft due to the -1 to saves? Most of the time we didn't bother shooting command units anyhow because we felt it was better to kill off the things that did damage. But sometimes it was nice to take out the HQ so that the unit couldn't do much unless the enemy was close. A lot of rules and modifiers to BKC. I think I'm about 90% on them now and we're using everything (maybe).  ;)

Big Insect

You need a CA factor to allow the Command bases to defend themselves in the over-run. It is possible that the Command base could 'win' the assault/over-run and repel the attacking units, but this CA factor is not for offensive use.

There is no requirement that the Command unit must be the nearest unit for an attempted over-run.
Command units cannot be the target point for Indirect (area fire) or the target for Direct Fire.

Think of them as markers for a command network, rather than a single officer or close group of staff.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.