Order Groups

Started by richafricanus, 28 February 2021, 06:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richafricanus

My command unit has 4 T34s under it's control.  I choose to make 2 of them an order group and successfully roll to move them.  A 2nd move for this same command group would be at a -1 as it's a 2nd move.  Lets assume I pass this roll as well so move a 2nd time, can I now go back to the other 2 T34s that I haven't yet moved and make them a new order group and dice to move them without penalty as it's their 1st move of the turn?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

That's right unless you failed with the 1st group. Although with Soviets you have the option to use fixed formation rules and given the lowish CV's the +1 is a major help.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

richafricanus

That leaves quite a bit of freedom then for Soviets to move each unit individually, each one getting the +1CV for "all" doing the same thing. 

We've found the +1CV rule for Rigid doctrine almost a freebie for the Soviets as it never seems too onerous to all do the same thing, especially when there is so much flexibility around defining order groups.  It seems contrary to the intent of making them less flexible.

Big Insect

Maybe, but it can make combined arms engagements much more difficult if you are using Fixed Formations.

As you get the hang of the rules, the idea that you can command a battlegroup that might be a mix of tanks (which are moving), trucks with infantry (where the infantry is dismounting) and some self propelled guns (firing upon an enemy) in support, all with a single order, becomes very attractive.

Also, even with +1 to the HQ CV, it is still possible to fail a Command roll  ;)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

richafricanus

Thanks that's helpful.  As you've picked up, we're probably still using pretty basic tactics so will definitely give it time to learn the nuances before assuming something is broken.

Big Insect

Generally, the Soviets historically have less Recce than their German, Finnish, Japanese opponents and lower CVs. So a +1 Cv bonus for instructing all units in a command group to undertake a single action builds that disadvantage back up - so getting all your T34s move or all to fire reflects the more simple Soviet training and command and control doctrine.

The idea is not to hamper the Soviets, but to better reflect the way they operated historically. As players get more familiar with the rules, they will (I suspect) start to see the differences the various Tac.Doc's bring to game play. This is taken to another level in a set of rules like Future War Commander, where you have certain troops classified as 'Blood-thirsty' coupled with a Rigid Tac.Doc. and you can simulate less controllable battle-crazed hordes. Guarilla Tac.Doc also works well for certain armies and you could argue that in a smaller engagement, using Soviet Partizans this would be ideal.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.