Bosworth update and uncertainty about deployment

Started by Norm, 25 February 2021, 11:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I have blogged an update on my Bosworth project that includes a discussion about two theories of deployment set against the background of the newly discovered position of the battle.

The project is about getting the bigger scale on the typical domestic table. The post includes basing and rules decisions.

LINK
http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/02/a-bosworth-project-update-and.html

goat major

That's an enjoyable read. It's really good to base your collection by researching a battle like this. Looking forward to hearing more !
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Big Insect

25 February 2021, 02:44:03 PM #2 Last Edit: 25 February 2021, 02:47:42 PM by Big Insect
Hi Norm
There was a really good presentation on Bosworth and Northampton that I saw at the Society of Ancients Conference a couple of years back - when we could all get there physically.
It looked at some of the underlying field structures (you know that old strip or ridge & furrow system of agriculture) that showed up using ground search radar (LIDAR).
NB: I found this article: https://www.academia.edu/18972840/In_the_Line_of_Fire_a_GIS_Analysis_of_Bosworth_Battle

It was really interesting as it supposed that attacking with the 'grain' of the strips was going to be a hell of a lot easier than going against the 'grain' or across the strips.
We tend not to take things like this into account as gamers but as these fields had been tilled for centuries, the ridges were actually quite pronounced.
There was a good new book - probably from the Battlefield Trust if I remember rightly -  that also challenged the disposition of the French force and it's impact on the battle (it being more important than previously thought).

There are very few original ridge & furrow fields left in the UK but these ones in Gloucestershire, where the land was turned over to sheep, so the ridges were not ploughed back into the land give you an interesting idea of what the battle field might have looked like: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Medieval_Ridge_and_Furrow_above_Wood_Stanway_-_geograph.org.uk_-_640050.jpg

Every year the Society of Ancients has a Battle Day in early April - where a selected battle is fought out in different scales and using lots of different rules - this year it is Bosworth.
Also this year the Battle Day is probably going to be on-line - so might give you an opportunity to participate - you dont have to be an SoA member to join in and put up a game - but I'd thoroughly recommend SoA membership. The magazine is very good.

Cheers
Mark

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Norm

Thanks. And thanks for those links. The thing about the furrows is a fascinating angle on the archeology. I became a member of the SoA at the end of 2020 and was pleased to see that the planned Bosworth event of last year was postponed to this year :-)

Big Insect

Great  :D

So we might expect your battle to be in Battle Day ...???

I am presenting at the virtual (on-line) conference in May on Sassanid Infantry

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Smithy

Hi Norm
That was an excellent blog post, thanks for sharing and an interesting read.
Thanks Mark for the details and links on the ridge and furrow too.
All the best
Chris

Big Insect

I also meant to say - "a great blog" Norm - really enjoyable and interesting.
I'm not sure how much of the SoA conference presentations are available via the SoA website, but you could also try and contact Graham Evans &/or Phil Steele via the SoA forum - they are nice guys and usually really helpful and communicative.
Keep up the interesting work

Mark

Norm

Thanks Mark, the latest journal has dropped through my door. I have spoken quite often with Phil, who is of a course a regular SoA representative on the show circuit ...... we just have to hope that we can get back to shows soon :-)