Opportunity Fire

Started by holdfast, 20 February 2021, 11:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

Quote from: T13A on 23 February 2021, 08:22:13 AM
Hi

I' have always wondered what the idea was behind units not being able to use opportunity fire against units deploying (and I appreciate that it was the same under BKC-II)? I would have thought that a unit deploying from a vehicle or deploying an anti-tank gun would have been a perfect target for a unit able to opportunity fire.

Grateful for any advice.

Cheers Paul

No idea Paul - I think it was lost in the mysteries of time!

But it might just be a rules mechanism to smooth play and avoided the need for working out which unit you are shooting at and determining hits etc.
There might be an argument around range and visibility maybe - at longer distance it is difficult identify that a stand of infantry is piling out of the back of that half-truck and going to ground?
But not sure TBF ... just one of many such 'mechanism' I inherited when I took on the mantle of rules 'crafter'  :D

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

holdfast

Thank you for the various clarifications.
I think I will use small coloured markers. I have used cotton wool/smoke up until now but I was having to put them in different positions around the model, to indicate suppressed, knocked out, having used opportunity fire and initiative. Really needed 4 different smoke colours! But coloured smoke was available of course but not sure from when.

richafricanus

We use a puff of white smoke to show opportunity fire and dead figures, etc for suppression.  We use the tiny black dice for hits.  All in the interest of keeping the table pretty and not full of coloured counters.  :)