M41 Walker versus M4A3E8 (76)

Started by Sunray, 19 February 2021, 01:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Korean range provides much scope for Latin American proxy games.

I have opp to tango Sherman with M41

BKC sets out AT,AP,CA, hits, save, etc for Sherman 76

How would M41 shape up?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Use the same gun stats as the Sherman 76, speed and armour as Chafee - should give you the stats for BKC. If a Korean war supplement ever appears it won't have the M41 in it, not used. Incidentally the full designation for the Sherman should be  Gun Tank M4A3E8 (Wet)/76 Sherman. The Sherman is a post war addition til at least 45 and may be later the US Army didn't use nicknames but just the assigned number.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Thanks Ian.  Its over 40 years since I endured a white nuckle ride over Jutland bog in an M41.  Our Danish hosts raved about the penetration of their gun and the quick firing autoloader.  Would this have been a 90mm upgrade or better ammo?

sultanbev

The Danes upgraded 53x M41 to the M41DK-1 variant c1985, with laser rangefinder, new engines, smoke dischargers, with 76mm M464 FSAPDS ammo penetrating 25cm/1000m/90*; 23cm/2000m/90*, enough to take out a T-55 at most battle ranges.

As mark says it got better ammo, and a new engine. As to smoke dischargers after the Sherman no US AFV's had them until the M60A3 or possibly the M1, no idea why.

Sunray

Thanks Mark & Ian. I recall the Danes were adroit at shoot & scoot.  Used their kit well.

Intresting point about smoke dischargers.  Unlike the Soviets, I assume the American kit did not have capacity to make smoke from diesel?

Sunray

Ofcourse our Chieftan did not need smoke dischargers. :)