This is the problem with 28mm gaming.

Started by FierceKitty, 15 February 2021, 01:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

18 February 2021, 01:22:30 AM #30 Last Edit: 18 February 2021, 01:27:20 AM by FierceKitty
Quote from: d_Guy on 17 February 2021, 05:04:12 PM
Sharing whose voice was singing it in your head would tell us much about you, Kitty.

The Animals. But this just reflects that it was a listening exercise in a textbook the school uses.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Quote from: FierceKitty on 18 February 2021, 01:22:30 AM
The Animals. But this just reflects that it was a listening exercise in a textbook the school uses.

The famous version but your introduction to it is interesting (and unexpected).

Woodie Guthrie, since I'm a Hillbilly.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

FierceKitty

18 February 2021, 05:26:14 AM #32 Last Edit: 18 February 2021, 06:15:01 AM by FierceKitty
The book is UK-produced. They are very reluctant to admit the existence of America as a region of note in the English-speaking world (except for the inevitable listening exercise featuring an idiot with a California accent getting lost in London). Aussies - about as rare. Indians - never. Africans - never.

I've just listened to Joan Baez singing it. Not a fan, myself, but she has a good voice for a ballad like that.

Gwydion

Quote from: ianrs54 on 16 February 2021, 10:00:01 AM
Writ 1880 after the Zulu war
Pedantry ain't what it used to be  :)-

There are many versions of Men of Harlech - one at least written in 1830 - slightly before the Zulu War and the music was first written down in 1794. (but words and music are probably a much older folk song).)

Gwydion

d_Guy

Quote from: Gwydion on 18 February 2021, 09:53:55 PM
Doh! Missed page 2.
Sorry
No worries, mate. Most of us here (and every other forum on any subject) suffer from advanced Pendanitis. I myself am martyr to it. In fact thinking I can offer absolution is one of the 427 known signs of the condition.

Like your screen name btw.

Ithoriel

Quote from: d_Guy on 19 February 2021, 03:39:19 AM
Most of us here (and every other forum on any subject) suffer from advanced Pendanitis.

[pedant] Shouldn't that be pedantitis? [/pedant] :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 19 February 2021, 04:02:10 AM
[pedant] Shouldn't that be pedantitis? [/pedant] :D

I s'pose it depens on whether you could only get into Oxford, so got a inferor ejucayshun.

d_Guy

Gentlemen - you need to hear the diphthongs and skipped consonants to fully appreciate the word.
You are speaking of the University of Mississippi at Oxford? I muhtrcoolae'd at'ah eqwvant but faeld to take a doo-gree.

FierceKitty

Quote from: d_Guy on 19 February 2021, 03:24:25 PM
Gentlemen - you need to hear the diphthongs and skipped consonants to fully appreciate the word.
You are speaking of the University of Mississippi at Oxford? I muhtrcoolae'd at'ah eqwvant but faeld to take a doo-gree.

That poor, harmless infinitive. You've been boldly watching Startrek!

d_Guy

To decisively split an infinitive is to colo(u)rfully give scope to language.  :-*

not sure how to accurately diagram the above.

mollinary

But sometimes, just sometimes, the split is just too terrible. Today, on the BBC news, a reporter spoke of the need 'to totally vaccinate the population'.  Arggggh! Preserve us from these partial vaccinations!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

d_Guy

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

I like the Drinkers version. Verse 2 starts

"Disorders that are metabolic,
Ceilings that are parabolic,
These are for the alcoholic,
Laying on the floor."
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry