2021 Six Nations Cup

Started by Westmarcher, 07 February 2021, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Techno II on 28 February 2021, 07:56:07 AM
Italy. Sorry, without wishing to sound mean, I don't know why they're still in the Six Nations tournament. :-

Cheers - Phil

To keep the numbers even, same with Roumania
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

There was talk of replacing them with Romania, Argentina or Malta...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 February 2021, 09:00:10 AM
There was talk of replacing them with Romania . . .

A (fair) few years ago Romania were the 'next' European team, certainly stronger than Italy. Now it's Georgia.

I think Italy only got in because bi-yearly trips to Rome or Turin were more attractive to the travelling public . . . (and committee members & their wives).

Techno II

I believe...Italy have only managed once, not to come 6th out of 6.

(I can't be ar*ed to look it up. ;) :P)

As Ian says...6 teams keeps the numbers even....But realistically, in the Northern Hemisphere, there are only the 'home nations' and France that are 'any good.'

Which, I suppose, is better than our friends "Down South"...They've only got three !  ;D ;D ;D

(But what a three !)

Cheers - Phil :).....(I'm in a grumpy mood....(There's a change. :D) ..my watch fell off somewhere during the Sunday shop...and has disappeared into the ether......More money to Amazon, unless I hear back from Tesco's 'toot sweet'.....Hey Ho....There's really much more important garbage for people to deal with at this current time.....But I genuinely feel naked without a timepiece on my wrist. ;))

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno II on 28 February 2021, 11:28:49 AM
I believe...Italy have only managed once, not to come 6th out of 6.

(I can't be ar*ed to look it up. ;) :P)

As Ian says...6 teams keeps the numbers even....But realistically, in the Northern Hemisphere, there are only the 'home nations' and France that are 'any good.'

Which, I suppose, is better than our friends "Down South"...They've only got three !  ;D ;D ;D

(But what a three !)

Cheers - Phil :).....(I'm in a grumpy mood....(There's a change. :D) ..my watch fell off somewhere during the Sunday shop...and has disappeared into the ether......More money to Amazon, unless I hear back from Tesco's 'toot sweet'.....Hey Ho....There's really much more important garbage for people to deal with at this current time.....But I genuinely feel naked without a timepiece on my wrist. ;))

Hence the saying "There's only eight teams, and we're four of 'em".

..But I genuinely feel naked without a timepiece on my wrist. ;)

Thought you have a ptroblem with the pendulem in your timepeice....afterall clockwork is far to complex for you Phil... ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

jimduncanuk

I haven't worn a watch for more than 20 years now, life is great without it. My work was often time related and was always behind schedule. I encouraged that to change and throughput increased. I can always find out the time if I really need to know.

Jim
My Ego forbids a signature.

industrialtrousers

Farrells' behaviour in the past negates some of the gravity a captain needs when ref makes mistakes like that first try. You ask for a word with the ref not start jabbering at him, no matter how righteous your case.

England's iffy form looks like a selection issue to me. When they start playing rugby they look strong. I'm not a terrific fan of Eddies though and think they would do well to employ someone who inspires players and encourages a more expanse game. box kick game is effective but a waste of a class back line for any team.

Techno II

28 February 2021, 04:47:08 PM #23 Last Edit: 01 March 2021, 07:26:20 AM by Techno II
Quote from: jimduncanuk on 28 February 2021, 12:37:06 PM
I haven't worn a watch for more than 20 years now, life is great without it.
Jim

Good grief. (Nothing to do with your comment, my friend.)
Just trying to order a £20 replacement timepiece from the current evil empire.... I almost gave up the will to live......What do you mean ?...You don't recognise my profile/password.

Where's all the stuff I've bought from you in the last 10+years ?

New profile ? .....Oh.....I give up......Exactly the same profile/password as before....What's the point....Oh...SOME of my old purchases have now returned.

AHA !.....Took me ages to figure it out.....But I now know what was wrong.
Complete brain fade from yours truly.....yet again. X_X =)

Cheers - Phil.

Genom

Quote from: Techno II on 28 February 2021, 07:56:07 AM
Italy. Sorry, without wishing to sound mean, I don't know why they're still in the Six Nations tournament. :-

There was one year the RFU spat the dummy out over TV revenue and threatened to quit the tournament (5 nations) when no one backed down they officially left and Italy were invited in to replace them. Unsurprisingly with most international fixtures set up so far ahead, no one else would play with them so they came back into the tournament bringing it up to 6 nations.

The problem we've got though is that although Italy aren't quite up to the level for the 6 nations, the next highest ranked team (Georgia for about the last decade) can consistently be beaten by an Italian B team.

It's just really unfortunate that due to all of the management changes in Italy that they've never managed to gain a higher level of consistency like Argentina did when they joined the tri nations.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Genom on 28 February 2021, 06:18:54 PM
There was one year the RFU spat the dummy out over TV revenue and threatened to quit the tournament (5 nations) when no one backed down they officially left and Italy were invited in to replace them. Unsurprisingly with most international fixtures set up so far ahead, no one else would play with them so they came back into the tournament bringing it up to 6 nations.

The problem we've got though is that although Italy aren't quite up to the level for the 6 nations, the next highest ranked team (Georgia for about the last decade) can consistently be beaten by an Italian B team.

It's just really unfortunate that due to all of the management changes in Italy that they've never managed to gain a higher level of consistency like Argentina did when they joined the tri nations.

And not finding 15 south-Africans / Kiwis / Polynesians to make up a team.