2021 Six Nations Cup

Started by Westmarcher, 07 February 2021, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Congratulations, Scotland!  <:-P 

=D>  At long last, the bogey is broken.  =D>
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Steve J

Yep, Scotland completely outplayed England and should have had a bigger margin of victory. France looked awesome against Italy and I fear Ireland will overwhelm Wales today.

Raider4

well done Scotland, but they really should have scored more being so dominant.

Do the English players know the rules, or do they just think they don't apply to them?

Techno II

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Raider4 link=topic=20548.msg319365#msg319365 date=1612696

Do the English players know the rules, or do they just think they don't apply to them?

/quote]

There was a match not so recently between England and I think Italy where English players were asking the referee how they combat some unusual but legal tactics. The reply was I'm a referee not a coach.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Raider4

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 07 February 2021, 11:49:27 AM
There was a match not so recently between England and I think Italy where English players were asking the referee how they combat some unusual but legal tactics. The reply was I'm a referee not a coach.

DHautpol

"Do the English players know the rules, or do they just think they don't apply to them?"

The England players play in one of the most competitive leagues in the northern hemisphere (the other being the French league).  The players are coached to squeeze every advantage they can and see how much leeway they can work.  Not a huge fan of Wayne Barnes but it was noticeable how he was talking and warning the players when they were infringing rather than just pinging them.

A couple of early penalties and you can find that the referee begins assume things a little bit.  Classic in this is the collapsing scrum after a front row change, there is the immediate presumption that the new guy is at fault; heck, I used to do this at junior level and I'm sure the techniques are more subtle as you go up the levels.

The circumstance in the Italy game was that when England attempted to set-up a ruck, the Italian players did not join it. Therefore, no ruck was formed and no off-side line existed, allowing the Italy players to roam around in England's backfield.  A bit of an obscure point to expect players to realise but one of the coaches should have twigged and got a message down to the pitchside.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

So, Wales are well on top until an Irishmen gets sent off, then Ireland suddenly come alive and dominate for the next ~40 minutes, before ultimately losing. 'Tis is a strange game.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Raider4 on 07 February 2021, 07:17:54 PM
'Tis is a strange game.

Rugby - a game for hooligans, played by gentlemen with elliptical balls.

Football - a game for gentlemen, played by hooligans with spherical balls.

American Football - a game for majorettes, marching bands, beer stands and hot dog sellers where, during the intermissions, the crowd is briefly entertained by armoured behemoths.

:) :) :) :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Rugby - a game for thugs played by gentlemen

Rugby League - a game for gentlemen played by thugs

Ducks for cover ;)

A well 'known' story in Wellington NZ, a Kiwi ended up player/coach for a rugby side in England and helped go from bottom of their competition to winning it
A major celebration was held at the local manor house to mark the victory and the Kiwi was asked where he learnt his rugby skills
He responded, the Wainuiomata Rugby League club
He was asked to leave
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Genom

Quote from: DHautpol on 07 February 2021, 05:54:57 PM
"Do the English players know the rules, or do they just think they don't apply to them?"

The circumstance in the Italy game was that when England attempted to set-up a ruck, the Italian players did not join it. Therefore, no ruck was formed and no off-side line existed, allowing the Italy players to roam around in England's backfield.  A bit of an obscure point to expect players to realise but one of the coaches should have twigged and got a message down to the pitchside.

The most amusing part of this though is that Haskell the player on the left of the clip plays for Wasps who earlier that same season were using exactly the same trick of not engaging the ruck to put off the opposition scrum half.

But I'd have to say that although Scotland did play fairly well, it wasn't exactly wonderful throughout and England just didn't seem to turn up mentally to the game and it wasn't just the Saracens players.

Raider4

Quote from: Raider4 on 07 February 2021, 11:20:39 AM

So, the way to beat England is to just grind your way up to ~30 metres from the England try line and then wait for England to give away a penalty, and then 24-24 suddenly becomes 40-24 in no time at all.

jimduncanuk

They were giving away penalties further out than 30 metres.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Raider4

I'm now getting very irritated by the idiot interviewer on the BBC who is desperately trying to get Owen Farrell and Eddie Jones to say something mean about the referee. They both shut her down pretty quickly.

Techno II

I thought the same thing, Martyn !

Obviously delighted that Wales have won the triple crown......BUT.....Have to say that they seem to have had the 'rub of the green' in all three matches, so far.

England and Ireland seem to have come slightly 'off the boil'.
Scotland and France both seem to have improved quite significantly....(Scotland especially)...and Italy. Sorry, without wishing to sound mean, I don't know why they're still in the Six Nations tournament. :-\

Cheers - Phil