"Tribal" African archer

Started by steve_holmes_11, 06 February 2021, 09:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

I've recently posted a long list of options and proxies for the Irregular Wars rules.

One type of figure I was unable to match was a "Tribal" Afrrican archer.

What I'm looking for is "Sub Saharan" (ie Afro hair) and mostly undressed (probably a loincloth and somewhere to carry his arrows).
There are Archers, but most are overdressed, in Muslim style kaftans.
My ideal figure would wear a lot less and be more at home in the forests of West and Central africa.

I can't guarantee a massive demand for such a figure, but folk loking to fill out Libyan or Nubian opponents of Old and Middle kingdom Egyptians might find them useful.

FierceKitty

I think the standard Pendraken solution here is to use the ancient Indian tribal auxilliary bowman.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 07 February 2021, 12:23:56 AM
I think the standard Pendraken solution here is to use the ancient Indian tribal auxilliary bowman.

I think those are mainly suggested for Caribs, Native Americans from South of the Equator and similar.

Would the Aztec range AZT8 Commoners with bow do, with their shields snipped and filed to represent bracers?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

Quote from: Ithoriel on 07 February 2021, 02:16:45 AM
I think those are mainly suggested for Caribs, Native Americans from South of the Equator and similar.

Would the Aztec range AZT8 Commoners with bow do, with their shields snipped and filed to represent bracers?

I was thinking the same, though the hair might need a bit of modification too

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Ithoriel on 07 February 2021, 02:16:45 AM

I took a long look at them and found two problems.
Number 1 is all kneeling rather fails the aesthetics test when maybe a third of a forest tribe might be bow-armed.
Number 2 is that the sculpt is rather too good, the face and hair having a classic mesoamerican look to them.

I also looked at a few more off the wall options, but they jacket and trousers rather spoil the tribal effect.

Fussy Steve

steve_holmes_11

Thanks for the suggestions.
You feedback always helps me clarify my thinking, and improve my ideas.

I wonder whether a better commercial pitch might be for a small "Darkest Africa" selection.
This could plug into the colonial category and need not contain many codes.

Warriors (with spears and wicker or wooden shields)
Archers
Shooters (Long arms, most likely "trade" muskets)
Assorted others: Chief, shaman, womenfolk, civilians ...

Pendraken already produce figures suitable for the rest of the Darkest Africa genre.
Explorers form any of the colonial ranges.
Zanzibaris form Arab / Afghan or Indian Mutiny ranges.

Ithoriel

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 07 February 2021, 08:34:40 AM
Number 1 is all kneeling rather fails the aesthetics test when maybe a third of a forest tribe might be bow-armed.

Diorama bases with the archers hidden in very long grass, firing from cover. Field them as the Eckawi. Job done! :D :D :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

Quote from: Ithoriel on 07 February 2021, 02:29:49 PM
Diorama bases with the archers hidden in very long grass, firing from cover. Field them as the Eckawi. Job done! :D :D :D

One of the guys at club has a pigmy army called Fucawi, with the same thought in mind.

How about some Pigmies.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Orcs on 07 February 2021, 09:37:04 PM
One of the guys at club has a pigmy army called Fucawi, with the same thought in mind.

How about some Pigmies.

I believe they prefer "Warriors of reduced stature" these days.

Orcs

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 07 February 2021, 10:03:07 PM

;D ;D ;D

You mean Pygmies !

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 07 February 2021, 10:03:07 PM

No, those are dwarves :)

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: John Cook on 08 February 2021, 02:14:27 AM
No, those are dwarves :)

I always found the Dwarves were proud of their shortness, but got ll precious about the dwarves / dwarfs business.

I leave you with Steve's guide to Fantasy races:

Dwarves:   Short miserable money-grabbing b*******.
Elves:       Tall stuck-up tree huggnig b******.
Hobbits:    Buffet raiding greedy b******.
Humans:   Exhibit the full range of mental illnesses.
Orcs:        Big green ugly b*******.
Goblins:    Little green ugly b*******.
Bears:      Thoroughly excellent fellows who'd share their last salmon or jar of hunny with you.
Heffalumps: Hunny robbing b*******.
Wooses:   Creepy toe nibbling b******.

Orcs

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 08 February 2021, 11:23:22 AM
I always found the Dwarves were proud of their shortness, but got ll precious about the dwarves / dwarfs business.

I leave you with Steve's guide to Fantasy races:

Orcs:        Big green ugly b*******.
Goblins:    Little green ugly b*******.
I am afraid I have to take exception to the above descriptions

Orcs/Goblins are the same generic race. The are not green. The correct Historical reference to Orc/Goblins is in the books by J.R.R Tolkien (blessed be his name) . They re described as 'Swarthy'

swarthy
/ˈswɔːði/
adjective
dark-complexioned.

Thus they have a brown tint to thier skin tone, unless they are Uruk Hai, which are far darker than standard Orcs/Goblins

So I have to correct your description to take in the listed historical references. 

Orcs:        Big swarthy ugly b*******.
Goblins:    Little swarthy  ugly b*******.

:)

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!