The painting competition comments thread.

Started by Techno II, 05 February 2021, 04:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Ethical question... Would/do people vote for their own entries?

1) Never, that would be terribly bad form old chap!
2) Maybe, if I genuinely thought my entry was top 5...
3) Of course, you'd be mad not to!

I'm assuming it's anonymous so noone will know either way, but curious as to what the moral instinct is on it. I'd initially thought option 1, my wife leaned more on option 3, while 2 is an interesting middle ground...

Westmarcher

Perhaps Leon will check if there's only 1 vote in it.   :-B

(for me, it's '1' btw)  O:-)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Aksu

Option 1 was taught to me as the only possible option when I was a small and impressionable boy. Haven't been able to shake out of it. I have no problems with others voting for their own entries, you should be happy and proud of your work :)
Cheers,
Aksu

Ben Waterhouse

Arma Pacis Fulcra

FierceKitty

If you believe in your work enough to submit it, you have a right to vote for it if you genuinely think it's good. The usual test applies: If I weren't involved, should I vote for this?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Big Insect

Is that like asking a politician not to vote for themselves in their own constituency?  :d
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Quote from: Westmarcher on 01 March 2021, 06:34:21 PM
Perhaps Leon will check if there's only 1 vote in it.   :-B

(for me, it's '1' btw)  O:-)

Quote from: Ben Waterhouse on 01 March 2021, 06:43:19 PM
1 for me...

Quote from: Aksu on 01 March 2021, 06:42:05 PM
Option 1 was taught to me as the only possible option when I was a small and impressionable boy. Haven't been able to shake out of it. I have no problems with others voting for their own entries, you should be happy and proud of your work :)
Cheers,
Aksu

Yes certainly that was my initial instinct, but I'm never beyond re-evaluating moral and ethical instincts in balance with reason.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 01 March 2021, 06:46:25 PM
If you believe in your work enough to submit it, you have a right to vote for it if you genuinely think it's good. The usual test applies: If I weren't involved, should I vote for this?

A reasonable approach

Quote from: Big Insect on 01 March 2021, 06:51:52 PM
Is that like asking a politician not to vote for themselves in their own constituency?  :d

My wife's argument too. Though are politicians really the people we want to be taking moral guidance from?  ;D

Quote from: mad lemmey on 01 March 2021, 07:12:50 PM
3 - but I have no morales or scruples!

Case in point!

Prophaniti

It's a '1' for me as well.

Lots of good entries and took a while to consider my options.  I will have to revisit the army category as that's quite hard to consider properly.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Quote from: FierceKitty on 01 March 2021, 06:46:25 PM

A difficult test to apply but a reasonable one  :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

I'd be in the Option 1 camp myself and would hope that others might find my work worthy of a vote here and there.  But as Kitty says, if you genuinely think that your entry is in the Top 5 then you should be able to vote for it.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

If I thought my work was genuinely in the top 5, I'd see no reason not to vote for it.

Scorpio_Rocks

Voting currently - am I alone in not seeing any pictures for Murat1970's entries?

PS firmly in the 1 camp
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.