Greetings from the Netherlands/Germany.

Started by Roel, 02 February 2021, 08:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Interesting a YouTube search for pronunciation tends to throw up "Rule" or "Role"  sounds (ignoring the American/Spanish Roo-ell)

I'm sure accent plays a role. In my accent r-ool and r-ule are near indistinguishable.

Ithoriel

Hi Roel, welcome to the forum.

Quote from: mmcv on 03 February 2021, 10:24:04 AM
Interesting a YouTube search for pronunciation tends to throw up "Rule" or "Role"  sounds (ignoring the American/Spanish Roo-ell)

I'm sure accent plays a role. In my accent r-ool and r-ule are near indistinguishable.

Yup, cool and rule end in identical sounds as far as I'm concerned.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jimduncanuk

Quote from: OldenBUA on 03 February 2021, 10:11:27 AM

As a side note, Roel should be pronounced like 'cool', rather than 'rule', I'd say.  8)

Interesting, 'cool' and 'rule' are pronounced the same (in English).

Otherwise, Welcome.
My Ego forbids a signature.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 03 February 2021, 10:49:52 AM
Interesting, 'cool' and 'rule' are pronounced the same (in English).

Otherwise, Welcome.

Depends on your part of England.
Those chaps in the North west do some funny tricks with their dipthongs.
I htink it may be a Nordic thing.

steve_holmes_11

Welcome Roel,

I hope you have  a great time here.
I recognise your early gaming with the Airfix and Matchbox.
10mm offers great flexibility - just big enough for small battles, but lots of potential for mass battle visuals.

Your games sound interesting, I hope you'll be able to tell us more about them.

Leman

Welkom Roel, ik kom uit Engeland en woon in Delfzijl. Dank je wel Brexit  :d :d :d. 10mm is een fantastisch schaal.

Moi, Andy
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Ek kannie Nederlands mooi praat nie, doch wilkommen!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ace of Spades

Ha die Roel,

Toch ook de stoute schoenen maar eens aangetrokken en lid geworden van het forum? Ik denk dat het je hier wel zal bevallen; genoeg te zien en te lezen i.e.g.!

groeten,
Rob ...je weet wel...
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 03 February 2021, 11:03:46 AM

Those chaps in the North west do some funny tricks with their dipthongs.

Ise resents dat - Ise chats good scouse yer know  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: ianrs54 on 04 February 2021, 01:28:30 PM
Ise resents dat - Ise chats good scouse yer know  ;)

Apologies (major navigation error) I was thinking of the North East.

Youse means Soctland den ! (Never did get a Georaphy O level - Welsh Teacher said I wasn't good enough - so got a CSE 1 instead)

Totally unrelated - Radio 4 News - numbers in Intensive Care with Covid has started to fall  :)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Roel

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Also thank you for the British humor in some of your posts ;D
And a big thumbs up for the efforts to pronounce my name correctly or posting something in what looked like 'Dutch'  ;) Really, the Dutch was good and readable.

And already a confession! THE person who introduced me to Pendraken is Ace of Spades. Thank you for giving me another addiction which has resulted in even less money and even less time for other cool stuff like... Ehmmmm....  :-S Well, at least it keeps me off the streets so no change to be accidentally finding a brick in my hand which I accidentally threw at a hosptital or emergency services.

Pictures on painted miniatures and the Arnhem game will follow as soon as I have managed to find out hwo to actually post them.

Dank aan allen voor de warme ontvangst!

Techno II

Quote from: ianrs54 on 04 February 2021, 03:01:38 PM
Totally unrelated - Radio 4 News - numbers in Intensive Care with Covid has started to fall  :)

That's something !...Though I think the staff in most hospitals are still being run ragged. :(

The pretty map I look at every morning, is also showing cases per 100,000 dropping in most (all ?) areas.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Cheers - Phil.