Lego Battle of Verdun

Started by mmcv, 01 February 2021, 10:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Despite being plastic blocks, gives a fair sense of the horror and pathos of it all.

Heedless Horseman

02 February 2021, 05:37:13 AM #1 Last Edit: 02 February 2021, 05:52:19 AM by Heedless Horseman
Wow! Who Would Have Thought...!  :o
Fantastic animation and much thought.

Lego must have changed a bit! In 1969, I 'sort of' watched the Moon Landing while playing with 'Space Tanks' built from half a dozen Lego 'bricks'! I could manage suitable 'sound effects', though! :)

Somehow, though... I don't really 'LI'KE' the way Lego has gone... with figures and very expensive 'models'...(for Dad to build. LOL!).  Maybe, a 'loss of innocence' there?
But, I built 'Space Tanks', so maybe not!  ;)

(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Steve J

That is superbly done and a nice touch to have the history of the battle at the end credits as it were. I did consider buying some figures for skirmish gaming a few years ago but was rather put off by the price!

Techno II

The animation really is rather special.....I'd have expected to see everything slightly 'jerky'.

Must have taken ages.

Cheers - Phil :)

paulr

Very impressive trenches, figures, weapons and animation  :-bd =D> :-bd =D>

I particularly liked the German artillery fire falling on the trench just as the Germans had captured it X_X

They must have been using the Flames of War WWI rules given how close the artillery was to the front line ;)
Totally understandable given the effort put into the terrain
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

Thanks for posting mmcv, very entertaining!
Like Steve I thought of buying lego figures for gaming but off-the-charts expensive. Does anyone know if the figures in the vid are custom made or commercially available?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

mmcv

There's a fair few people doing stop motion lego battles, impressive work, must take them forever.

Quote from: d_Guy on 02 February 2021, 02:42:46 PM
Thanks for posting mmcv, very entertaining!
Like Steve I thought of buying lego figures for gaming but off-the-charts expensive. Does anyone know if the figures in the vid are custom made or commercially available?

Looks like they may be from https://www.minifigbattlefields.com/minifig-shop/ though pretty pricy at 1.50 a man and some special figures far in excess of that.

Ithoriel

Quote from: mmcv on 02 February 2021, 03:22:36 PM
There's a fair few people doing stop motion lego battles, impressive work, must take them forever.

Looks like they may be from https://www.minifigbattlefields.com/minifig-shop/ though pretty pricey at 1.50 a man and some special figures far in excess of that.

Have you looked at the price of 32mm fantasy figures lately? :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 February 2021, 03:25:20 PM
Have you looked at the price of 32mm fantasy figures lately? :)

Haha fair point, I'd forgotten how "big" lego figures were. Suppose it's probably about that price you'd pay per figure for a Warlord 28mm figure pack, give or take. Less detail...but less work too.

d_Guy

Thanks for the link! It's an additional $1.50 if you want a rifle. Still, if you just want to skirmish infantry it is doable. Maybe "On to Kilimanjaro"
or something.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leman

Really well done piece of animation Much appreciate that posting.

Andy
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!