How I prepare a base

Started by Vonthoma, 01 February 2021, 06:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vonthoma

To give texture to the bases I use modeling paste. Then with an (old) toothbrush I give texture

Donec Perficiam. Fins a reeixir.
Instagram: vonthoma39

Vonthoma

fred.

Those are very nice, WWI Turks?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Adamwest

Nice guide, I think I'll give that a go, how did you do the barbed wire?

Vonthoma

Quote from: Adamwest on 01 February 2021, 08:46:42 PM
Nice guide, I think I'll give that a go, how did you do the barbed wire?

Simple
Sewing thread

Vonthoma

toxicpixie

Do you paint the Mini's on the base, or press them in, then take them off and stick 'em back later when they're done?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

John Cook

Very nice.  Have you tried using a mortar mix, the sort used for laying bricks.  I have a bag left over from when I had an extension built several years ago.  Glue the figures to the base and allow to dry,  Then paint the base with PVA glue, dip it in the mortar and let it dry.  The result is a textured earth coloured base, that hides the bases of the figures, and which you can further landscape as you like with static grass etc.  It saves all the hassle of using paste and then texturing it. 

Vonthoma

Quote from: toxicpixie on 02 February 2021, 12:04:03 AM
Do you paint the Mini's on the base, or press them in, then take them off and stick 'em back later when they're done?
It depends on the base. In this case paint on the same base in others I use supports and paste later

Vonthoma

Quote from: John Cook on 02 February 2021, 12:28:28 AM
Very nice.  Have you tried using a mortar mix, the sort used for laying bricks.  I have a bag left over from when I had an extension built several years ago.  Glue the figures to the base and allow to dry,  Then paint the base with PVA glue, dip it in the mortar and let it dry.  The result is a textured earth coloured base, that hides the bases of the figures, and which you can further landscape as you like with static grass etc.  It saves all the hassle of using paste and then texturing it. 

Mortar mix. Interesting
I will try it

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I do similar - use cheap filler to bury the figure bases with larger scale, and sand then flock.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

Quote from: Vonthoma on 01 February 2021, 11:38:05 PM
Simple
Sewing thread

I wonder if the wire that is wrapped around some wine bottles (particularly Spanish wine) is also something you could use. Being stiffer, you could wrap it around a cocktail stick or pencil, to get that coil effect (mind you, that would probably be more relevant for later wars and not WW1?).

Nice work, by the way.  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Macsen Wledig