A few visibility questions

Started by richafricanus, 29 January 2021, 08:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richafricanus

A few more for the brains trust (incl some recycled unanswered ones  ;))

1. Firing & visibility out of high area terrain:  An average profile unit on the edge of high area terrain wants to shoot out of the terrain at an average profile enemy unit in the open.  The rules say the unit in the terrain can only see out 10cm so am I right in assuming they can only shoot at a target within 10cm?  If I'm reading this right, it seems odd that they can only see units in the open at 10cm?  :-

2. Profiles:  The table on p.8 of says infantry have a low profile but under Profiles in the visibility section, troops on foot are not listed as having low profile (in fact it's an errata to cross them out of this paragraph).  Which one is correct?

3.  General visibility:  Just wanting to check we're playing this right.  It seems to be very easy to see enemy units, especially infantry.  So an 88 can see and fire at an infantry unit even if it is dug in, at 100cm away?  Basically unless you're in some sort of terrain cover or concealed from the start, you can be seen in the open from any distance, whatever your profile?

Big Insect

Quote from: richafricanus on 29 January 2021, 08:09:20 AM
A few more for the brains trust (incl some recycled unanswered ones  ;))

1. Firing & visibility out of high area terrain:  An average profile unit on the edge of high area terrain wants to shoot out of the terrain at an average profile enemy unit in the open.  The rules say the unit in the terrain can only see out 10cm so am I right in assuming they can only shoot at a target within 10cm?  If I'm reading this right, it seems odd that they can only see units in the open at 10cm?  :-

2. Profiles:  The table on p.8 of says infantry have a low profile but under Profiles in the visibility section, troops on foot are not listed as having low profile (in fact it's an errata to cross them out of this paragraph).  Which one is correct?

3.  General visibility:  Just wanting to check we're playing this right.  It seems to be very easy to see enemy units, especially infantry.  So an 88 can see and fire at an infantry unit even if it is dug in, at 100cm away?  Basically unless you're in some sort of terrain cover or concealed from the start, you can be seen in the open from any distance, whatever your profile?

Hi there - some answers and thoughts:

1). A unit on the very edge of High Area Terrain (woods, BUAs) can see out unimpeded - I've not got my rules set with me when answering this but that is the intention of any wording

2) - after a lot of initial feedback it was agreed that having Infantry units as Low Profile made them almost impossible to see or hit - as they have other advantages - so whilst it seems odd, they are best played as not being classified as Low Profile for visibility & to-hit - but they are not Low Profile as far as shooting over other Average profile units (eg. AFVs etc) or other Infantry.

3). The issue is not whether the dug-in Infantry can be seen - and usually the actual earthworks are what can be seen - it is the difficulty that the 88's will have in actually hitting them - their  to-hit factor is reduced and they also get a save throw in defenses - and that is better against direct fire than area fire.

Hope that makes sense
Cheers
Mark

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

richafricanus

Thanks Mark, that makes sense.  Perhaps the next round of errata can address the question in point 1 as it certainly appears to read that your shooting range from the edge of high area terrain is limited.

Playing game no.4 on the weekend and continuing to enjoy the rules and becoming more fluent with them.

Big Insect

There needs to be clarification around being on the edge and shooting out and being further inside the High Area Terrain piece  :)

If you are not on the very edge then you are restricted to 10cm visibility - it is designed to reflect the fact that in a wood (for example) you generally have more dense growth of shrubs or low level plant growth at the edges - so it is harder to see into a piece of woodland. But if you are on the very edge you are not so restricted.

Great to hear you are enjoying them and are picking up how they work in principle.

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Mark it's an area where you need to trust the players, and ask them what they intended.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021