Help! need to fix steel inside really useful boxes.

Started by steve_holmes_11, 17 August 2021, 12:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

Quote from: Big Insect on 17 August 2021, 08:36:07 AM
Gorilla Glue - it sticks anything & everything (including fingers) but once stuck that it is it ... it is well & truly stuck!  ;D ;D ;D

What kind of Gorilla Glue?  There are several kinds.

fred.

Coming to this thread a bit late - but it would be worth checking that the bottom of the RUB is actually flat. I put an MDF sheet with cut outs for 2p pieces in one, using doubled sided tape to hold down, but discovered that towards the middle there was a bit of a dip and the figures ended up under the MDF sheet. The difference was just a couple of mm, but may be part of the reason why the metal is coming away. Some kind of gap filling glue would be useful (which I suspect the silicon sealant is).

I'm also a fan of the Commission Figurine trays - they enable me to get many layers of figures and tanks into a RUB - often to the degree that 9L become a bit of a weight lifting challenge!

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 17 August 2021, 11:12:01 AM
Thanks all, I'll make a start with double-sided tape, with a few other solutions up my sleeve in case that fails.

Norm: What's the motivation to keep the light out?

Steve, it is mainly just to protect those armies that carry paper flags. It may be an unnecessary step, but I do it anyway. The sides are card lined and the lid on the top box has a fablon type covering, again to keep the light down.  I know some people have their units behind glass in display cases for years without detriment, so perhaps I am being too cautious, no doubt others will add their experiences of knowledge on the subject of UV.

chrishanley

CT1

Make sure you de-grease and lightly abrade both surfaces

Orcs

Quote from: chrishanley on 17 August 2021, 08:47:56 PM
CT1

Make sure you de-grease and lightly abrade both surfaces

Is that on the Gorilla's  or the Ducks?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

steve_holmes_11

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fred. on 17 August 2021, 07:25:30 PM
Coming to this thread a bit late - but it would be worth checking that the bottom of the RUB is actually flat. I put an MDF sheet with cut outs for 2p pieces in one, using doubled sided tape to hold down, but discovered that towards the middle there was a bit of a dip and the figures ended up under the MDF sheet. The difference was just a couple of mm, but may be part of the reason why the metal is coming away. Some kind of gap filling glue would be useful (which I suspect the silicon sealant is).

I'm also a fan of the Commission Figurine trays - they enable me to get many layers of figures and tanks into a RUB - often to the degree that 9L become a bit of a weight lifting challenge!

This is true, the base has a bit of flex to it, and the structure of the box means it isn't flush with any ground surface.
I'll investigate that as a potential cause for the sealant unpeeling.

steve_holmes_11

09 September 2021, 02:02:14 PM #23 Last Edit: 09 September 2021, 03:02:04 PM by steve_holmes_11
Update:

I've fixed my steel sheets in by looping duct tape to create double sided pads.
Time will tell whether that holds, or whether they will gradually peel away under duress.

Meanwhile I've found a supplier that ships the 4L boxes lined with a self adhesive ferro sheet.
I hope it's OK posting this here, since I don't see any competition with existing Pendraken / Minibits stuff.

https://magneticdisplays.co.uk/magnetic-displays/ferro%20sheet

The Ferro sheet is that flexible rubber stuff infused with something that sticks to magnets, but isn't magnetized.

I've not tried it yet, but imagine the following pros and cons.
+1: Sheet is flexible, so less likely to part company from the flexible polythene box than a hard bit of steel (like what I use).
+1: Sheet is rubberised, so less likely to rust than a pure pit of mild steel (LWIU).
-1: There's less magnetic "stuff" per area, so probably less grabby than the steel.
-1: If it flexes with the box base (which is good for remaining attached to the box), it will be less grabby for the minis protected within the box.

LWIU, stuff and grabby are all approved scientific terms, comparable to, but not defined within the SI system.

Big Insect

Quote from: John Cook on 17 August 2021, 06:20:39 PM
What kind of Gorilla Glue?  There are several kinds.

The instant super-glue type.
I've also used the wood-glue - that also works well for wood-on-wood fixing.
But neither are cheap
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.