10mm CWC Infantry Basing

Started by pbeccas, 28 January 2021, 02:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbeccas

What's the general consensus for 10mm infantry basing for CWC?    I was thinking of being radical and using round bases for CWC.  Maybe 25mm rounds with 3 or 4 figures per base?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The y will do fine. There are no rules on it. We have several variations - some of my 6mm stuff is on 30mm squares, others are on 30x20mm, other players use 40x20.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

The only minor disadvantage to round basing is to do with dismounts.

Generally, I have my infantry based on the same base frontage as my APCs or IFVs, so that when they 'de-buss' they can be slotted in-front of their vehicles, allowing the vehicles to provide support in an assault. It just allows me to ensure there is enough room to deploy the infantry.

But as Ian states there is no fixed proscribed base sizes in CWC.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

pbeccas

Got you there.  Never played CWC before so I didn't know the transports stayed with the dismounted infantry.  In gameplay is there some sort of advantage in that?  ie more firepower?

Big Insect

Quote from: pbeccas on 29 January 2021, 09:22:50 AM
Got you there.  Never played CWC before so I didn't know the transports stayed with the dismounted infantry.  In gameplay is there some sort of advantage in that?  ie more firepower?

The advantage in both CWC & BKC (& FWC if you are so inclined) is that the 'transports' e.g. APCs, half-tracks and IFVs will add to the support for their dismounted passengers in an assault. In some situations it is advantageous for the mounts to support the dismounts (so infantry attacking infantry in a BUA is better supported by its mounts).
In other situations it is better that the IFV is supported by its dismounts - that might be a BMP advancing into assault with enemy infantry in the open, supported by its dismounted MMR infantry mounts (if that makes sense).

There is also the ability for an AFV (most with an Average profile) to shoot over its dismounted infantry passengers as they also shoot or move into the assault, so you are increasing the firepower of the combined units. It works equally well in a defensive situation - infantry in an AFV might be better off fighting in the open with their mount as support - than leave the AFV to fight enemy infantry on its own (especially in High Area terrain and a BUA).

Support in assault is an all important factor in the Commander rules mechanisms - that and the need to suppress your opponent  :D

Hope that helps?
Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

pbeccas