We Are Moving!

Started by Leon, 26 January 2021, 09:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

Quote from: Leon on 28 May 2021, 12:15:21 PM
We had that at the old place, it's usually a build-up of tree/leaf debris that causes them to block up.  It took about 18 months to get the landlords to clean them out last time.
With the new place there's no trees in the close vicinity, just one to the side which doesn't seem to be causing any problems at the moment.

Old trick with gutters is to put another piece of loose guttering upside down, inside the existing fixed gutter, along its length, so you end up with the equivalent of a tube - you overlap the upturned piece so it goes over the hole to the down-pipe. Water can still run into the gutter ok as the upper and lower 'halves' are not connected.
I have used it with great success on my allotment shed for years - where there is a  large bay tree on a neighbouring plot that has ended up filling my run-off rain-water barrel with its autumn leaf fall or they chokes the down pipe. Some people use chicken wire to the same effect, but that still lets in smaller pieces of leaves or moss clumps.

You might only need to do it on the side nearest the trees Leon.
NB: it is also a good trick to stop moss (which will eventually grow on the roof) getting pulled up by birds and washed into the down-pipe and clogging it, as well as leaves.
Just a thought
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Leon

Quote from: Big Insect on 28 May 2021, 02:09:39 PM
Old trick with gutters is to put another piece of loose guttering upside down, inside the existing fixed gutter, along its length, so you end up with the equivalent of a tube - you overlap the upturned piece so it goes over the hole to the down-pipe. Water can still run into the gutter ok as the upper and lower 'halves' are not connected.

That's a nifty idea, I'll have a look at that.  I need to get on the roof and fix the approx. dozen leaks that are coming into the workshop so I'll check the gutters while I'm up there.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Big Insect on 28 May 2021, 02:09:39 PM

I have used it with great success on my allotment shed for years - where there is a  large bay tree on a neighbouring plot that has ended up filling my run-off rain-water barrel with its autumn leaf fall or they chokes the down pipe. Some people use chicken wire to the same effect, but that still lets in smaller pieces of leaves or moss clumps.

You'll have to make sure that the upper pieces are firmly attached as you wouldn't want any injury claims made against you.
My Ego forbids a signature.

FierceKitty

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 30 May 2021, 11:09:35 PM
... as you wouldn't want any injury claims made against you.

I'm always depressed to read something like this. In the human race I'd prefer to be a member of, it would take the form "...as you wouldn't want to injure someone."
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

John Cook

Why use some Heath Robinson solution when you can get gutter guards that clip on and are designed specifically for the job.

Orcs

Quote from: John Cook on 31 May 2021, 07:11:47 AM
Why use some Heath Robinson solution when you can get gutter guards that clip on and are designed specifically for the job.

Cost I expect
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson