Hussite query

Started by FierceKitty, 26 January 2021, 03:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

The flailmen pack contains two figures, one swinging his weapon from over his shoulder. Query: is he wearing a kettle helmet or a ploughman's hat? The photo on the sales website has it as a hat, but that wasn't necessarily the scultor's intention. Indeed, it may be a deliberate ambiguity to allow two plausible versions to be painted.

https://pendraken.co.uk/medieval/late-european/

This aside, Czech movies always show a few sturdy Bohemian women crewing the waggons until (inevitably) they stop a crossbow bolt. Any historical basic for these, or just stories from the age which also gave us St Joan?

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Big Insect

Quote from: FierceKitty on 26 January 2021, 03:44:39 AM
This aside, Czech movies always show a few sturdy Bohemian women crewing the waggons until (inevitably) they stop a crossbow bolt. Any historical basic for these, or just stories from the age which also gave us St Joan?

There is well documented contemporary observations (from German Crusaders) that Hussite wagon burgs were also defended by armed women - they were armed the same as the men (not sure if they were armoured the same) and fought in mixed formations with the men. Apparently they were just as formidable as the men!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!