Contrast Paints

Started by T13A, 25 January 2021, 09:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi All

I have seen a lot of mentions of 'Contrast Paints' over the last few months, please excuse my ignorance, but what are they exactly and how do they differ from 'normal' (acrylic) paints? :-/

many thanks

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

fred.

They are GWs new paints - they basically shade and paint all in one go. So can really speed up the process of painting units. They won't make painting a high quality figure any quicker or better, but for rank and file they are great.

Most of them work really well, you put them over a pale base coat. The shade of this can change the final colour slightly. Some of them work much better than others. I've had good success with most of the ones I have, but some mates have struggled with some (purple comes to mind). They can take a bit of getting used to, but I like them.

They are all pretty bright colours so are not great for modern military figures or vehicles.

I'll see if I can find some photos of my stuff.

But there is lots on the internet, so worth a google.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

In this photo I think all the monsters are mainly done with contrast paints.

The yellow ones I think are almost entirely contrast paints. The red ones I think I added another red wash to some parts to differentiate the armour from the flesh. The blue ones the bodies are contrast, I think the ones were done with a wash, and the blue ribbons are normal paint..
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

jimduncanuk

They are an alternative to paint as you understand it, they are not a replacement.
My Ego forbids a signature.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

quasar42

I have used Contrast paints to good effect on 10mm figures. I find they work particularly well for organic materials like flesh, wood, fur, or leather.  But I have also used a grey tone to simulate metalics.   Some of the downsides of Contrast paints (splodges on larger surfaces if you are not careful) are actually less of an issue with smaller figures.   

Orcs

I thought I read somewhere that Vallejo were looking into something similar.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

Quote from: Orcs on 26 January 2021, 01:50:44 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Vallejo were looking into something similar.

I think I've seen something similar somewhere.  They've got something quite close now with their Inks range, so it probably just needs a touch thicker consistency and they'll be good to go.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

T13A

Hi

Many thanks for all the replies and info.   :-bd

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!