Anyone know anything about the Boer War?

Started by fsn, 22 January 2021, 08:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Gentlemen.

I was talking to a colleague who had in his family a story of a great (great) grandfather who was awarded a silver bugle/trumpet for alerting the troops of a sneak attack. He also said that the same family member was garrisoned in Carlisle Castle. 

Looking back, I can see that the 1st Borderers were in Carlisle and were sent to South Africa.

Does anyone know of the story? Or can point me to a source? I'm afraid I don't find colonials of interest and so my bookshelves are silent on the matter.

Sorry it's very thin, but I know this forum is a great hive-mind.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Have you tried to find the regimental history of the 1st Borderers on line. My son always says to me that if you don't have information to hand try google or wikipedia.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leman

Not sure how many regiments contained the title Borderers. The King's Own Scottish Borderers were based in Berwick in 1900 and the 1st Batallion served in South Africa 1900-1902. Several awards for bravery were awarded, but only a VC to Lt GHB Coulson is mentioned by name. The regiment's museum in Berwick might be a good place to start.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

There are several written histories. Beware thewre are 2 Boer Wars, one in the 1880's? and the 1899 one.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

The Public Records Office at Kew have a lot of documents, available online, relating to Regimental histories. Might be worth a rummage there?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

I once wrote to a regiment's PR people with an historical inquiry. They were very helpful.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Last Hussar

QuoteAnyone know anything about the Boer War?

Yes.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Last Hussar

Accurate, and fully answers the thread title. What more do people want?
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

steve_holmes_11

I find that Wikipedia is a fairly good primer for questions like these.

Most gamers who do Boer War play the second Boer War (Baden Powell, Mafeking, Mauser's 'alf mile 'ail, Spion Kop, Guerilla War, scorched earth, bitter enders and concentration camps).
The earlier battle phases generally provide jollier games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Boer_War

Significance of the war - always a big driver of my interest in a historic period.
* Militia force goes toe to toe with a first class imperial army (for a while).
* "Taking the high ground", is contrasted with "Don't expose yourself on the skyline" perhaps the first time.
* British army's lessons led  directly to the "Old Contemptible" army of 1914, and the ongoing special skills associated with the Enfiend 303 rifle family.
* Traditional charging cavalry once again shows its limitations, not that the slow wits at Horse Guards are at all interested.
* By contrast, mobile marksmen operating in known territory prove their value.