Zulu wars battle setting up

Started by FierceKitty, 22 January 2021, 07:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Early stages, though the British force is taking no chances. You don't want to find yourself unable to bring your rifles to bear against Zulus! I got into line fast, while keeping the Natal Mounted Rifles in column as an emergency reserve.
Sir Percy MacHogg took charge of the right flank, where the 17th Lancers dismounted, shot the AmaPhela regiment into disorder (using up all their ammunition, but it was bullets well spent), and mounted to charge and break them.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

The main South African attack was in the centre. Lee got some terrible movement rolls, which suited me very well.

The 33rd Sussex stopped the Kingbreakers regiment with inches to spare. An RHA rocket troop helped, and we got lucky and killed their general, paralysing the Zulu right.

FierceKitty

The "horn" on the Zulu right, before they lost their leader.
The support by a naval landing party of rough, tough, jolly sailor men, reeking of rum, tar, and parrots, and rotten with pox and scurvy, was critical in the endgame, since the Sussex ran out of ammunition and had to resort to the bayonette.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno II

8)

What's the 'thingy' in the bottom left of the last piccy ?.....Can't make that out. :-\

Cheers - Phil. :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

It could be a wagon, but lacks the 400 odd oxen it should have !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Next to the ridge? They're shooting off a rocket or two. It's in picture four as well.

d_Guy

Quote from: FierceKitty on 22 January 2021, 10:31:13 AM
Right, that's sorted them out. About half the Guards were wounded, and I lost my scouts, but the Zulus won't be getting up in the next fifty years.

Right! Having washed their spears and gone home I suspect you're in for a surprise.
The smart money is still on Lee.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

FierceKitty

Today Lee's taking the Imperial forces at the Battle of Ulundi.

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Both armies fell back with ruined morale; Chelmsford and Cetewayo both died in the battle. Ulundi is now the capital of a joint Boer-Swazi republic.

Techno II

A no-score draw then ? :-\

Cheers - Phil.