BKC Solo Game of Juno Beach

Started by holdfast, 21 January 2021, 12:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean66

Also remember if your 88's fire. every tank will roll to try and view them.
also if you have a forward observer for air or artillery they can try and spot. Same goes for any Recce.
88's dug in are formidable but if you total up how many eyes will be looking for them. then they will soon be seen.
Regards
Sean

Big Insect

Quote from: holdfast on 27 January 2021, 11:03:41 AM
Thanks for this Big Insect. I will have to think the sequencing through carefully.
Given that the 88s are well cammed up, I would think it is not a foregone conclusion that they will be spotted the first time they fire. I am going to be rolling more dice than in a Warhammer game at this rate!

Don't get Ian on about massed dice rolling - in a previous CWC game us NATO types were rolling 66 artillery dice (per unit in the off-table artillery template) on the advancing Soviet hordes - after a while Ian gave up attempting to make the saving rolls  :D ;D ;D ;D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

That was Ben - not me. It's technically possible in BKC with Mike (Divisional) and Uncle (Corp) assets. That for a Mike would give you 72 25pdrs and possibly 16 5,5"
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

holdfast

Also remember if your 88's fire. every tank will roll to try and view them.

Well it depends how many have a line of sight and at this stage the Canadian tanks are all closed down, and of course everyone is on their first outing.
I concluded that after the first rounds from the PAK that two tanks were in a position to spot them. I rolled to see whether either managed to spot either of the PAK. One did (rolled 5 or 6 to spot) and one didn't. The tank that had spotted the PAK fired smoke at it which blanketed it in smoke. So the second PAK had another shot which took out a Sherman. The one tank that was still in a position to spot the second PAK rolled to spot, this time needing 4,5,6 to spot. He succeeded and then fired smoke and blanketed off the second PAK.
That all seems a reasonable set of factors, although I wonder if they really were so good at spotting when closed down. My own experience of being in a Ferret made me feel very blinkered. 

Big Insect

Yes - but remember each table top model/unit is a number of tanks (just as the 88's each represents a 'battery') so it is not unreasonable that one or more tanks will spot the discharge from the 88's or be able to spot the track of the in-coming shells hitting their comrades.

But I think the way it is playing out sounds pretty good from a historic as well as a game-play perspective.

It's enjoyable to get a 'blow-by-blow' move-by-move play-test like this - thank you - keep it coming  :) :) :)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

holdfast

I have written up the saga of the PAKs, which I found instructive, but have been defeated by the 128 k limit on attachments. I will have another go later.

holdfast

Here is the narrative I tried to post yesterday, without the photos all of which are over the 128kb limit.
I will resize them and post them in the next couple of days which will allow folk to make sense of the rambling text.

1.   Canadian Situation Start of Turn Six
The Canadian Attack is as follows:
A Company; West. Two platoons, seven tanks (one FAO, one crocodile, one flail, 4 Sherman)
They have closed up to the wall and have suppressed the two bunkers covering the beach. A marked minefield has a breach started but the sappers have been killed so it is incomplete. One other infantry squad has been killed and one Sherman has been knocked out on the exit ramp from the beach.
The third platoon is disembarking with one Sherman and one crocodile.

Photo 1. The five tanks on the right are supporting A Coy. One Sherman has just been knocked out by the PAK 75 beyond the row of trees.

B Company, Centre, opposite the town. Two platoons, eight tanks (one FAO, one flail, 6 Sherman), one air link vehicle (soft skinned).
They have suppressed the central bunker with naval gun fire which also took out one engineer squad when it dropped short. They have also suppressed the bunker at the northeast corner of the village. No mines have been encountered but the sea wall has yet to be breached. One infantry squad has been killed and one AVRE was knocked out as it attempted to exit up the beach ramp.
The third platoon is disembarking with one Sherman.

Photo 2: The situation in the centre. The bunker has been neutralised by Naval Gunfire but its effects also took out a sapper squad.

C Company, East. Two platoons, two tanks (both Sherman).
They have encountered only light opposition. (they are facing only one platoon here and it suffered in the pre-landing bombardment. They have avoided a minefield and have suppressed the one bunker at the eastern end of the sea wall. They have lost one infantry squad so far.
The third platoon is disembarking with one Sherman and one AVRE.

Photo 3: The eastern beach exit, where the lead AVRE has been brewed up after neutralising the bunker at close range.

The Canadian Move
A Company: On the right the infantry followed a lone Sherman against the most westerly bunker, suppressing it. In the first the tanks gave suppressing fire while the infantry caught up. That group only managed two moves. The third platoon disembarks in the surf with two tanks as reinforcements. On the left, the main force with 5 tanks including the crocodile gave covering fire while the Crocodile got close enough to flame the bunker guarding the beach exit. Part of the bunker garrison perished the rest pulled back through the tunnels into the town. Then all advanced, the tanks pouring through the beach ramp. The lead Sherman got to the area where the road had been cratered earlier by Naval Gunfire and moved west into the fields, then hitting the unmarked minefield where it took one hit. This group, under the Company Commander, managed four moves before failing its command roll.

Photo 4: The Crocodile warms up the bunker, the survivors of the garrison make their excuses and leave.

B Company: On the right three tanks with a platoon advance against the (empty) central bunker and neutralise it. They manage two moves. The reinforcements disembark. On the left are four tanks with three squads. They all advance and the tanks exit the beach. At the last minute the lead tank spots the PAK 75 at the southeast corner of the village but the move then ends.

Photo 5: the flail tank spots the PAK 75 in the bunker but fails its command roll and cannot engage

C Company: Here the Canadian have two platoons with two tanks and they are almost kicking at an open goal. However, they make quite a meal of it. On the left the infantry advance on the bunker which contains one MG, using fire and movement. They also blow a hole in the sea wall, although the tanks are off to the right and cannot easily take advantage of it. Nonetheless the infantry storms the bunker and consolidate around it. The Reinforcements disembark. The Company commander wants to direct the two tanks near the beach exit to support the infantry at the breach but they fail their command roll, giving some respite to the thinly stretched German defenders who have just one squad with MG and mortars left after taking casualties earlier. They also have an FAO but his comms don't seem to be working. The only asset left to the Germans in this sector is the unmarked minefield in front of the Canadians.

The German Situation
The Germans have two platoons in the town and to the west under one HQ, and one platoon in the fields east of the town. The company HQ is on the hill to the south, with the two PAK 88, two 105 SP guns and two 222 recce under command.
The German Move
The Town Garrison: On the first move the forward squad plus mortars fire at the infantry to the front and both PAK 75 fire at the lead tank coming off the beach. All hit, one Sherman is hit but not suppressed, one is hit and suppressed. One Canadian squad is hit once and saves it on a six, being up against the sea wall. The Garrison then fails its command roll.
The Group in the fields: The FAO calls for artillery fire but doesn't get through. The remaining troops, one squad, one mortar and one MG all fire at the advancing infantry which suppresses one squad. They pass the second command roll and suppress a second squad, before failing the command roll.

Photo 6: the Germans are barely holding but the Canadians haven't found the unmarked minefield, marked by the black pins, yet.

The Company HQ Group: This group called for artillery fire and received it, so fired at the infantry in the centre approaching the town. Four squads found themselves under fire, two were suppressed but no units were eliminated. The two Recce 222 moved to the east as a backstop and took up positions to fire into the flank. The two PAK fired at one Sherman each. The Sherman in the minefield took an extra hit and was suppressed. The Sherman on its outer flank took two hits but wasn't suppressed. Two tanks had line of sight to the PAK. One PAK was spotted and smothered in smoke, the other wasn't spotted and had a second shot at the Sherman on the flank. This took two more hits which weren't saved and the Sherman brewed up.

Photo 7: Halfway through the PAK 88 vs Sherman action. The lead Sherman is suppressed in the minefield, one PAK has been smoked off the second PAK has destroyed the Sherman to the left but two more Shermans are on overwatch and then locate and smoke off the second PAK.

A further tank managed to spot the second PAK and fired smoke. Meanwhile the first German reinforcements trudged onto the board and the Company HQ managed a further 3 command rolls, during which time they repositioned one PAK 88 under cover of the smoke. While all this is going on the first German reinforcements arrive at the south end of the board and trudge forward.

That concluded a complicated move where I learned a lot.

holdfast

Here are Photos 1 and 2 as mentioned in the previous post

Big Insect

Sounds great. It really captures the chaos of an unexpected marine assault.

One observation - the Recce 222s - if they are classified as Recce units they can only shoot in self defense. But you could classify them as Recce support - allowing you to change their abilities between recce and a normal AC unit (on a successful Command at the start of your game turn). If they change their designation they must stick to that throughout the whole game turn. If that makes sense. Check out Recce and Recce Support sections.

PS: I cannot post photos but maybe one of the other kind folk might offer you a hand to post them?

Cheers
Mark

holdfast

Good advice from BI the moderator, (so named on account of his moderate IT skills I hear, as opposed to my IT skills which are sub optimal.)
Here are Photos 3 and 4.

holdfast

Photos 5 and 6

holdfast

and photo 7 which is as far as I have got to. To be continued!

fred.

Looks like the armour is struggling to get off the beach!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

holdfast

I think it's not unreasonable. On reflection I wonder whether the Canadians shouldn't be classified as 'green'.

Steve J

Very impressive looking table and love the action that you have going on :).