samurai project

Started by Jesus, 20 January 2021, 08:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammurabi70

Quote from: FierceKitty on 20 January 2021, 09:00:45 AM
The evidence is beyond dispute for glossy black, glossy red, gilt, and rust-brown armour. Samurai breastplates could be fabric-covered, but this was not the norm. Otherwise, in earlier armies - and you don't get to use ashigaru in jingasa then - armour makes so much use of coloured cords that anything goes, but always in horizontal bands. 

So should all the armoured figures be painted universally as black lacquered armour , with a few exceptions for red, and differentiated by the use of the mon?  A bit like Wars of the Roses dressed in 'silver' plate armour and differentiated by their heraldic banners.

FierceKitty

For Sengoku armies, that's very much the norm. Gold and rust-coloured armour here and there, and some entire units were in red, but black by far the most common.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sean66

Looking good.
already a contender (if finished in time)
Regards
Sean

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd

Great painting as always :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

hammurabi70

Quote from: FierceKitty on 20 January 2021, 11:51:21 PM
For Sengoku armies, that's very much the norm. Gold and rust-coloured armour here and there, and some entire units were in red, but black by far the most common.

Many thanks; noted for my 6mm Baccus armies.  I am not planning on painting the Red Demons so everyone else will get black (gloss) lacquered armour.