Furious film on Amazon Prime

Started by Big Insect, 19 January 2021, 08:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

Just finished watching the 2017 Russian historical legend film - Furious on Amazon Prime

It is a great watch - Kievan Christian Russian v Mongol Hordes - a cross between the Hobbit and 300 - but well shot, visually also very inspirational.
I can feel a 28mm Kievan Russian army being added to my 2021 painting schedule.

Worth checking out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furious_(2017_film)

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Well subtitled - the Russians are speaking Russian and Mongols are also speaking 'mongol'? So you get double subtitles in some places. But it works very well.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Steve J

I always watch foreign language films with subtitles where possible. However we tried a Finnish film on Netflix and gave up as it was too hard to follow what was going on!

DecemDave

Quote from: Big Insect on 19 January 2021, 08:05:52 AM
Just finished watching the 2017 Russian historical legend film - Furious on Amazon Prime

Thanks for the tip.  Cracking film.  Although clearly making a Russian legend even more mythical.   Beautifully scenic .  I actually stood up and freeze framed as it switched to the final scene with a stupendous portrayal of that other Russian enemy.  (avoiding spoiler but costume dept/CGI excelled itself).
An army about 10 down the painting q just moved up several places.   

Steve J

Will check this out now our daughter has free Amazon Prime for 6 months due to being a student :).

Aksu

Quote from: Steve J on 19 January 2021, 01:52:54 PM
I always watch foreign language films with subtitles where possible. However we tried a Finnish film on Netflix and gave up as it was too hard to follow what was going on!
Just curious - which one? Our film industry is not exactly known for well honed scripts, so it might have been a factor.
Cheers,
Aksu

Steve J

I can't remember Aksu, but it was a 'Nordic Noir' type series that just didn't grab us. We've found half the fun is listening to words that are similar of the same in the English language, which we've become quite adept at :).

Big Insect

Might it have been 'Dead Wind' ... or is that Swedish?

Raider4

Bordertown? Started watching that, but didn't get to the end of series 1.

Aksu

12 May 2021, 03:07:53 PM #10 Last Edit: 12 May 2021, 03:15:38 PM by Aksu
Quote from: Steve J on 12 May 2021, 06:51:18 AM
I can't remember Aksu, but it was a 'Nordic Noir' type series that just didn't grab us. We've found half the fun is listening to words that are similar of the same in the English language, which we've become quite adept at :).
Ah well, that would automatically disqualify us, a bit like old skool Eurovision Song Contest when you had to sing in your own language.
Our Scandinavian neighbours are quite a lot better at Nordic noir. Or any TV for that matter.
Cheers,
Aksu
PS I suppose I am allowed to trash our media industry as I not only went to film school in the distant past but also work for the local Beeb.

Steve J

I think it was Bordertown, but we didn't finish one episode as it was pretty poor to be honest.