Rules for 50s Alien invasion B movie

Started by Last Hussar, 17 January 2021, 11:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Was watching 'Super 8' the other day (2011 film set in 1979)

About 2/3rds of the way through there was a homage to a proper full on SF "US army fails to stop the aliens" – tanks being tossed in the air, all the jeeps armed with .50 cals, firing wildly, powerlines going over in showers of sparks, the full monty.

And I thought "I want to do that" – Giant robots stomping houses, tank rounds bouncing off, infantry running about.

I mentioned it to Sunjester, and he said he has Korean 15mm that would fit.

So I'm trying writing some 'Beer and Potato-snack' rules.  I am having fun writing the special events under 'Message from the Pentagon'.

These include a bomber attack, where a line across the table is randomly decided, and everything within 5cm is attacked- Tripods, M48s, bazooka teams, houses! and increasing DefCon, leading to the small possibility that the President will use a 'small'(!) nuclear bomb to ensure the alien threat is contained. Whether that counts as a win, lose or draw is left as an exercise to the players.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Raider4

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Last Hussar

Also possible - "Message from the President: No effect"
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Poggle

Quote from: Last Hussar on 17 January 2021, 12:53:30 PM
Also possible - "Message from the President: No effect"

The 'Thoughts and prayers' card.

Mako

Sounds like a fun idea, but I always struggle with how to balance this, since alien tech is usually so powerful, and the poor little humans are so overmatched. Same issue with Godzilla and othe monsters vs. humans too.

Counting on a virus, or something similar to take out the aliens doesn't translate very well to tabletop gaming, even if it does work in the movies. Going nuclear is problematical too.

Doing a 4th of July movie scenario is a bit complicated as well.

Probably, the best options are something like Battle Los Angeles, or scenarios from the old TV show, UFO. I hope to do some of the latter, soon, using Warlords' rules, or my own house rules.

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021