Early Saxons?

Started by Jonny, 15 January 2021, 07:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny

Thanks again for the advice and figure suggestions, I appreciate it!

I'll have a browse through all those ranges :)

Macsen Wledig

just to add grist to the mill....

I have done a similar project to yourself and used a wide range of figures for Saxons and not just 'Saxons'. Its the early period and dont forget there will be Romanised Saxons/Germanics and and also 'free range' Saxons for the period. Use of Late Roman figures is not forbidden!

steve_holmes_11

It's probably worth repeating that none of the different invasions of Britain resulted in a complete genocide *.

The usual result was a new ruling structure, ruling class and their elite soldiery.
These often mixed with the upper echelons of the former ruling class.
The new lords over a settled population of farmers and craftsmen, who frequently provided local militias.

In this context, It's credible to include some late Roman militias among the forces of a settled Saxon lord.

* The closest to a genocide was the Norman elimination of the Anglo/Danish lords between 1066 and 1086.
    Documented in the two Domesday Books.
    Also attested by upswing of "Saxon bands" serving foreign kings - notably the Byzantine emperors.

Big Insect

If somebody does them in 10mm - later medieval Pagan Slavs are probably acceptable to mix in - also some of the more 'furry' early Dark Age gothic & frankish types.
But avoiding two-handed axes (single handed axes are ok), too much armour (& even helmets) and definitely avoiding kite shields is probably a good way forward.

I once played against a 28mm Early Saxon army and it was basically an entire army of the same pose plastic figure ... in fact the might have been 1:72nd scale converted Airfix Robin hood figures -  against my large 28mm Foundry Late Romans - which all seemed very unfair - but they were a tough opponent as they have some 10 more units than my smaller elite army and I only won by the narrowest of margins.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.