Early Saxons?

Started by Jonny, 15 January 2021, 07:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny

Brilliant,

Thanks everyone, all the advice and my limited research (Googling :D) has made me feel like I know what I'm aiming for now.

I really appreciate all the advice! :)

Raider4

Quote from: fsn on 15 January 2021, 08:08:03 PM
See e.g. ARL16 in the Late Roman range

These are terrific figures, but I'm always sad when I see them that some variants with swords and bows could not be added to the range :(

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 16 January 2021, 01:04:38 PM
My own motto is fast becoming "At 10mm, who's going to notice".

Are you serious?  If it can be seen you can bet that somebody will notice  ;D

Ithoriel

Quote from: John Cook on 17 January 2021, 01:39:33 AM

John, you clearly play the wrong people, most of my group couldn't tell an Anglo-saxon from an angle grinder!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno II

You mean those aren't the same, Mike ?

Cheers - Phil. ;)

FierceKitty

In fairness, you can probably grind Saxons and Angles with the same tools.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno II

Only if they've been dipped in liquid nitrogen.

Cheers - Phil  ;)

mmcv

Accuracy is nice and all, but if you get close enough to the general look it's grand. I have crusades armies that can see battlefields from the first to the last crusade, and I don't stress too much if there's a helmet in the mix that is a few decades too early for that particular battle. Just depends how deep the obsession goes! I'll try and be accurate where I can, but often, especially in the ancient side of things, a lot of what we know is guesswork and extrapolation anyway so there's room for fudging.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: John Cook on 17 January 2021, 01:39:33 AM

Those people are easily dismissed as "pedants" and blocked.

I then repeat the motto.

John Cook

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 17 January 2021, 02:54:54 PM
Those people are easily dismissed as "pedants" and blocked.

I then repeat the motto.

In that case we only need one type of Sherman tank and one type of generic French Napoleonic infantry, indeed, one figure for all periods from, say 1600 to 1900.  It will make Leon's life very simple indeed.

John Cook

Quote from: Ithoriel on 17 January 2021, 04:24:58 AM
John, you clearly play the wrong people, most of my group couldn't tell an Anglo-saxon from an angle grinder!
I am playing the wrong people?  I haven't played anybody for over a year thanks to COVID.

Leman

I have used all the following for early Saxons, and they work well - AS 1, 3, 4, 6; NO 1, 2, 3, 4; DAX 1 - useful figures for both sides. You may also find some useful figures in other manufacturers 10mm Goth ranges.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Elliesdad

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 16 January 2021, 01:04:38 PM
The 5th & 6th century invaders / colonists / "expats" generally travelling light.
Several rulesets suggest they fought "Warband style", as opposed to the later "Shieldwall style".
I believe archeology hints at smaller shields and less armour.
Of these, smaller shields may be a factor for you.

From what little I know I agree with Steve's comments above.
Early Saxons carry small(ish) shields and fight in a "war band" style. By c.700 - what DBA calls the Middle Anglo-Saxon period - the shields get larger, as the warriors switch to "shield wall" fighting.
For Early Saxons only the very rich can afford swords, everyone else would have the seax - from which the Saxons took their name.
Of course, they're your figures so you can do whatever the heck you want.
I reckon AP3 Sassanid Persian javelin men would be a decent fit, with a little judicious use of paint. And, it would probably be good to also get a variety of figures carrying a javelin from the various ancient and dark ages ranges. The GRE5 Greek peltast pack has a guy with a round shield that would be suitable if painted with trousers.
Good luck,

Geoff