Early Saxons?

Started by Jonny, 15 January 2021, 07:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny

Hi,

I'm still dithering over various ideas for my first 10mm project. I really like the late roman range and was thinking of using some to represent Romano British as opponents for early Saxons.

I can see the Saxon militia models in the late Roman range, but was wondering which other models people would use the represent Saxons of 5th & 6th century Britain (the island Britain, I know Great Britain didn't exist then :P).

Jonny

Orcs

Would the Anglo Saxon range not do?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

The Anglo-Saxon range in the Dark Ages section - especially the Select and Great Fyrd

The Viking bondi could be used to give some variation, if you like your irregulars to look irregular, and are also in the Dark Age section.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Isn't the Anglo-Saxon range more 9/10/11th century, rather than 5/6th?

fsn

See e.g. ARL16 in the Late Roman range

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Jonny

Thanks for the replies :)

I have to admit ignorance to knowing how different a 5th-6th century Anglo-Saxon would look to a 9th-11th century Anglo-Saxon.

If the dark age Saxon range will do the job that's great, I just thought I'd ask the question incase there were any obvious changes in clothing  or weaponry that would mean they didn't look the part.

The late roman Saxon code looks like a great place to start, I'll look at the dark age ranges for options for variety and for 'big men' to lead the warbands!

paulr

If you only want a few figures or just particular poses an email to the nice Mr Leon will get a very helpful response. Pendraken are very happy to do special orders :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Jonny

Quote from: paulr on 16 January 2021, 01:55:12 AM
If you only want a few figures or just particular poses an email to the nice Mr Leon will get a very helpful response. Pendraken are very happy to do special orders :)

Excellent :)

I'll remember that one, thanks for the tip!

Jonny

I think I'll need to avoid Dane axes and kite shields but other than that I'll use the dark ages Anglo-Saxon range and the Saxon Militia code in the late roman range :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

THese SAxons very prompt are they ? (Early you see
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Jonny

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Jonny on 15 January 2021, 11:50:17 PM
Thanks for the replies :)

I have to admit ignorance to knowing how different a 5th-6th century Anglo-Saxon would look to a 9th-11th century Anglo-Saxon.

If the dark age Saxon range will do the job that's great, I just thought I'd ask the question incase there were any obvious changes in clothing  or weaponry that would mean they didn't look the part.

The late roman Saxon code looks like a great place to start, I'll look at the dark age ranges for options for variety and for 'big men' to lead the warbands!

The 5th & 6th century invaders / colonists / "expats" generally travelling light.
Several rulesets suggest they fought "Warband style", as opposed to the later "Shieldwall style".
I believe archeology hints at smaller shields and less armour.

Of these, smaller shields may be a factor for you.
Easily ignored if you wish.

My own motto is fast becoming "At 10mm, who's going to notice".

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 16 January 2021, 01:04:38 PM
My own motto is fast becoming "At 10mm, who's going to notice".

Me - but then I'm nasty  that way.  Seriously with "ancients" even with the most "civilised" nations information is lacking, so it's very hard to be definate.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Jonny

I really like that motto! :D

I think at 10mm I'll make sure to avoid wrong equipment like Dane axes and kite shields, but I might take liberties with shield diameter. Interestingly, the shield diameter of the Saxon militia in the later roman range looks larger than the diameter of the shields in the dark age Saxon range? I'm guessing most equipment was home made or inherited back then so there would have been variations in shield size?

Ithoriel

Agree with all of Steve's comments.

My reference to the fyrd was because they are less well armoured and therefore more suitable for the early Saxons.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data