Fixing models to lolly sticks

Started by Jonny, 14 January 2021, 11:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

14 January 2021, 03:42:30 PM #15 Last Edit: 14 January 2021, 04:01:33 PM by Ithoriel
Copydex.

A bond that is solid (and lasts years if you are as much of a hobby butterfly as I am!) but which allows you to peel figures off the sticks and then peel the Copydex off the stick.

Vehicles, I undercoat the model, paint the base a suitable base-ish colour, give the bottom of wheels or tracks a quick skim with an emery board to expose the metal again, superglue to base, paint.

Based figures alongside unbased vehicles just look weird to me.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno II

Blu - Tak.......?

No.....Black - Tak........Far better.....but you'll have to look for it.

It might be too strong, however.

It's a sod to get off corks/spatulas etc.....But it's way stronger than the wimpy Blu
Tak. ;)

Cheers - Phil :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

How bout white tac,,,,,same as blu tac but with no colouring
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Superglue or pva on coffee stirrers works for me. Holds about 12-15 figures a time
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno II

You can stick a 'proper' full sized digital SLR  camera onto a branch/door/wall (whatever) with Black Tak.....and then use a remote to take piccies....That's how strong it is.

A bucket full of blue/white Tak wouldn't be able to hold a camera.....The camera would peel off...hit the deck, and get intercoursed.

But back to the point  ;).... Wouldn't normal double sided 'sticky tape' work ?

Cheers - Phil. :)

mmcv

To be fair my "blu tac" is a mix of blue and white tack, plus an unspecified amount of paint giving it all a slightly mottled appearance.

I did try coffee stirrers over lolly sticks in the past but found the ones I'd got far too flimsy. Unfortunately, I now have hundreds of the buggers and need to find some use for them. I figure they'll make good planking if I ever make wooden buildings or forts.

John Cook

If you are painting vehicles or guns, prepare them for painting in the usual way, paint the underside and glue them permanently to their bases.  I use superglue and plasticard bases.  PVA glue will be better for MDF bases as superglue doesn't work so well on absorbent surfaces.  One the glue has set, complete the painting and dress the base.  The same for WW2 figures.  They will be sufficiently spaced apart that you can paint them on their bases without the need of 'lolly sticks'.

For figures that are closer formed, which is almost anything from the late 19th century and earlier, the further back, the closer formed figures will tend to be.  For these you will need to fix them temporarily to a 'lolly stick' or something similar.  I use pieces of square dowel, left over from a DIY project years ago, cut to convenient lengths but 'lolly sticks' are good too.  I find that the maximum number of figures you can handle on one stick is about 8.

I have used Black Tack and PVA glue to fix the figures.  Black Tack has the advantage of being able to adjust the figures if you need to, and although pretty strong, is easier to remove them.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Techno II on 14 January 2021, 04:32:41 PM
But back to the point  ;).... Wouldn't normal double sided 'sticky tape' work ?

Cheers - Phil. :)

Not in my experience. Not a good enough bond.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Copydex as well, after someone here's suggestion!

Depending on pose I put 6-10 infantry or 5-6 cavalry on a "craft stick".
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Jonny

Thanks for all the answers! :D

I'll probably give a couple of methods a try and see how I fair. It's good to see there's a few viable options!

Jonny

Orcs

Quote from: mmcv on 14 January 2021, 03:16:55 PM
Does it not take a while to set? Hot glue is pretty quick but I seem to recall copydex needing 20-30 mins?

Copydex does take a while to set. I leave my figures for a couple of hours before paining, often overnight.

I used to use the hot glue gun, but you get wispy "Hairs" of glue if your not very careful. Sometimes they are stuck on so tight you damage the  paint or occasionally the figure getting them off the stick.  

I stopped using Blue tack as often the tackiness gives out while you are painting and one or more drops off. Also Blue tak has oils in it that can affect paint adhering properly. You mix the blue tak to get it warm and sticky then transfer these oils to the figure as you push it into the "blob" of blue tak.

I use coffee stirrers. Trained my children when young to collect them for me, So much so I still have a boxful.  
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fsn

I leave mine for half an hour or so, then do the priming.

Leave that overnight and they're ready for a basecoat.

6-10 infantry on a stick. 4 or 5 cavalry.

Vehicles I prime and basecoat, them mount them on a base and detail from there.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: mmcv on 14 January 2021, 04:55:20 PM
To be fair my "blu tac" is a mix of blue and white tack, plus an unspecified amount of paint giving it all a slightly mottled appearance.

I did try coffee stirrers over lolly sticks in the past but found the ones I'd got far too flimsy. Unfortunately, I now have hundreds of the buggers and need to find some use for them. I figure they'll make good planking if I ever make wooden buildings or forts.

I'm turning some into Hussite waggons.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

DaveH

I use white glue (PVA) as it is reasonably easy to clear once I'm done and I need it for the 20mm soft plastic figures I use for WW2 gaming anyway.