Fixing models to lolly sticks

Started by Jonny, 14 January 2021, 11:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny

Hi everyone,

It'll still be a little while before I dive into 10mm properly, but I was thinking about the process and wondering what the best options are for fixing models to lolly sticks for painting?

Any advice appreciated!

Jonny

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

A small dab of UHU or similar works well, but remember to clean off when removing.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

I would suggest filing the bottom of the bases first. I know that sounds basic, and Pendraken's bottoms are relatively smooth, but a quick rasp works wonders.

I use Copydex. Hold the figures well enough, and is easy to remove.  
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

After sanding the bases flat where required, I use double sided tape.

fred.

File flat ( usually very quick) then doublesided tape, about 5mm wide
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

T13A

Hi

After getting rid of any flash I attach the figures to plastic fruit carton tops with just a dab of cheap white glue applied to both the figures base and the tops (after leaving the glue to 'set' for around 10/15 minutes). Works well for me.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

mmcv

I tend to just use blu tac or something similar. I find it's less messy than glue and if you knock a figure off while painting it's quick to reaffix.

Blu Tac works fine with 6mm tanks, so long as it's fresh. 10 15 and above I fine you need glue. If the larger scales are going to be indiviually based then just sick em to the base.

mollinary

Blutac. Don't be tempted to put too many figures on each stick - I find three is ideal for both fast work and being able to 'get at' all the fiddly bits.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

mmcv

Quote from: mollinary on 14 January 2021, 01:05:33 PM
Blutac. Don't be tempted to put too many figures on each stick - I find three is ideal for both fast work and being able to 'get at' all the fiddly bits.

Interesting, I'd normally go with 5-6 infantry per stick or 3 cavalry at 10mm. Though I have been known to go up to 8-10 per stick if there's not too much fiddly detail needed.  Can generally batch them as units then.

Advantage of blu tac is you can switch the figures round if you need to get at a particular detail or find painting at a particular angle awkward.

Quote from: ianrs54 on 14 January 2021, 12:52:54 PM
Blu Tac works fine with 6mm tanks, so long as it's fresh. 10 15 and above I fine you need glue. If the larger scales are going to be indiviually based then just sick em to the base.

Yeah you do need to sometimes remove, reroll and reapply the blutac if it gets too much paint on it after a few rounds. Haven't painted any tanks yet, but would you not just paint them directly on their bases? Or do you leave them unbased?

Orcs

I use copydex, as it holds the figures firmly but bot so firmly they are difficult to remove.

For figures bigger than 10mm I use a hot glue gun
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Dont base tanks now unless for BKC/CWC/FWC, in which case 30mm squares.

fsn

I took the wise words of Master Orcs "he who eats deep pan, may also choose the pineapple".

I have no idea what he meant, but he also suggested the Copydex thing for which I tip my hat and thank him most kindly. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Does it not take a while to set? Hot glue is pretty quick but I seem to recall copydex needing 20-30 mins?

jimduncanuk

My Ego forbids a signature.