Save the Bees!

Started by Big Insect, 13 January 2021, 12:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

13 January 2021, 12:38:15 PM Last Edit: 13 January 2021, 01:57:21 PM by Big Insect
Now ... I don't want this to turn into a Brexit bashing thread please (or I will shut it down myself) as the subject matter is far too serious.
But please see the message attached below and if you feel you can support this, follow the link and join the petition.
Many thanks
Mark
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Have you seen this?
https://bit.ly/38yxvEj

Our bees are in danger. Again. The UK government has just approved use of toxic, bee-killing pesticides on fields in England. These pesticides have been shown to do serious harm to bees time and again. That means damage to a vital part of our environment, so it's down to us to make sure that these pesticides don't come back.

The UK government did ban these pesticides when we were part of the EU, but now they're going back on that. We were told that leaving the EU would not worsen the UK's environmental protections, but this first major decision by the UK government sends a worrying signal.

People are furious that this has been allowed to happen - and a massive petition will show the government we won't let them get away with this. This could be what persuades them to ban these pesticides for good - and protect our bees and our ecosystem.

Will you join me and sign the petition today?
https://bit.ly/38yxvEj
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Techno II

Done......Heard that on the radio a couple of days ago, and thought it was particularly 'iffy'.

Cheers - Phil

flamingpig0

I have already signed it - I have to say it is the kind of thing I was expecting post-Brexit.
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

flamingpig0

Also - we don't want you under threat Big Insect as apart from anything else we are sill waiting for CWC and FWC
 H.P. Lovecraft

Salah Askar,

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

All signed - but are you quite sure Boris can read ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

flamingpig0

Quote from: ianrs54 on 13 January 2021, 01:06:27 PM
All signed - but are you quite sure Boris can read ?

Much like a toot from a Prussian Trumpeter blowing his Bugle outside Sparta post-Brexit  we can expect a world leading  most superb cornucopia of possible outcome for Bees and other arachnia
 H.P. Lovecraft

Salah Askar,

Big Insect

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 13 January 2021, 12:44:32 PM
Also - we don't want you under threat Big Insect as apart from anything else we are sill waiting for CWC and FWC

And the Korean War supplement ... I know ... WORK HARDER ... to quote Ian!  ;D <)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Quote from: Big Insect on 13 January 2021, 02:07:22 PM
to quote Ian!  ;D <)

Ok - quoted Mark's last post - it says quiet not quote in that....and it's WORK FASTER - dat be an order !!!!

And miseriously the original as now changeth....

Steve J

Done and I hadn't realised they had changed the rules :(. I grow plenty of bee friendly plants in our garden to try and help, as do some of our neighbours. Each little bit helps.

fsn

Quote from: ianrs54 on 13 January 2021, 02:10:45 PM
Ok - quoted Mark's last post - it says quiet not quote in that....and it's WORK FASTER - dat be an order !!!!

I found this video of Techno at home and at work.

What isn't well known is that he is on fact on 11mm tall (to the eyes).
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Poggle

mmcv

According to the articles it is only approved for emergency use in certain circumstances, in order to save sugar beet crops which are losing up to 80% of their yield due to a virus (not COVID!) and is not a blanket approval, nor anything related to Brexit as the same measures have been taken in a number of EU countries also.

Nevertheless, given how vital bees and insects are to our ecology and how damaging the refined sugar industry has been to our health the trade off here seems unbalanced to future sustainability. Not to mention the impact on the wider ecosystem as they enter the water system.

There is also another petition from change.org http://chng.it/hzshSY5K8v

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.