Horses or Webbing

Started by Orcs, 12 January 2021, 10:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Having painted some 300 20mm ww2 figures in the last couple of months, I have found that Webbing is a exasperating to paint as horses.

Still only another 30 or so to go

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I simpathise. There is also the question of colour, the British were supposed to use blanco - a horrible light green colour, but I've seen black (fromm boot polish), and the natural dark sand. Have fun....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

John Cook

12 January 2021, 11:44:54 AM #2 Last Edit: 12 January 2021, 12:06:47 PM by John Cook
Quote from: ianrs54 on 12 January 2021, 10:58:10 AM
I simpathise. There is also the question of colour, the British were supposed to use blanco - a horrible light green colour, but I've seen black (fromm boot polish), and the natural dark sand. Have fun....

Supposed is the operative term.  Pattern 1937 webbing is nearly white when it is scrubbed clean several times, and that includes the gaiters.   Blanco is a foul invention which is essentially pipeclay.  It dissolves when wet leaving stains on uniforms.  The buckles were also brass which had to be polished.  I guess it would all be left 'au naturel' on service.  Pattern 1937 was still quite common in the late '60s and early 70s.  You are right about boot polish which also has the effect of waterproofing it to a degree - wet webbing weighs a lot.  I seem to remember the RA blackened their Pattern 1937 webbing.   

fsn

Belts are a pain.

Horses are a pain.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

The other issue is that often the webbing on some of  the figures is often not fully defined, so you end up having to work out where the webbing goes and hand hand paint it in.  I have painted figures from a number of manufacturers and this is the case with all of them.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

I was issued 37 pattern in 1972 - with insturctions to blacken it. THe 37 large pack was the standard school bag - unblancoed or blackened and they faded darker over the years.

'orses aint too bad though, it's the harness what makes it difficult.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

Horse tack and webbing certainly a pain, but something we all have to endure!

Glorfindel

I must admit that I undercoated all my horses black and just painted the flesh, leaving the
reins etc black.   Doesn't look too bad.   I've since experimented with dark grey reins etc and
am really pleased with the final look.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Glorfindel on 12 January 2021, 01:55:53 PM
I must admit that I undercoated all my horses black and just painted the flesh, leaving the
reins etc black.   Doesn't look too bad.   I've since experimented with dark grey reins etc and
am really pleased with the final look.

A handy tip, thanks.

I've tended to start with the coat colour and then add mane, tail, ankles and nose as necessary.
I tend to leave harness to last and only do a minimal job on the most visible parts.
That's my get out for one tedious job.

Most of my armies hail form the days before webbing.
The Naps are in 6mm where a 2 or 3 inch belt won't show up at (arm's length x 300).
There may be exceptions for British with white over scarlet, and I occasionally go beyond the call where hussars are concerned.

John Cook

Didn't somebody recommend acrylic pens to reduce the tedium of doing reins and similar.  I haven't tried them myself but I can see that they could be useful. 

jimduncanuk

Quote from: John Cook on 12 January 2021, 10:47:34 PM
Didn't somebody recommend acrylic pens to reduce the tedium of doing reins and similar.  I haven't tried them myself but I can see that they could be useful. 

They can be a bit disappointing.

If you do everything properly then they can be great.

Some are spirit based and some are water based.

Some cover well and some don't cover well.

Some are waterproof when dry and some are not waterproof when dry.

Some fade away over time and some don't fade away over time.

I've given up trying to find the best ones to use.

I use a fine paintbrush and a steady hand/eye (not always available).
My Ego forbids a signature.

John Cook

Thanks for that.  I will stick to brushes I think.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: John Cook on 12 January 2021, 10:47:34 PM

I used some really sharp pointed acrylic pens to label my 1:6000 fleets.
Colour coded by nation with an abbreviated ship name for each.
Fairly close work back in the day when my eyes were still giving 20:20.

Took them out after a year, and all the labelling had faded to near zero.

FierceKitty

I use them, and they're going strong years later; but only black, dark blue, and red/orange. Avoid green, which sometimes bleeds disastrously into surrounding colours and through repaint jobs, and through the repaint jobs over them too.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Heedless Horseman

Quote from: ianrs54 on 12 January 2021, 12:28:51 PM
I was issued 37 pattern in 1972 - with insturctions to blacken it. THe 37 large pack was the standard school bag - unblancoed or blackened and they faded darker over the years.

OMG! Was this the School 'Haversack' from the 70's, usually slung from one strap, sometimes painted, ALWAYS Felt Penned for Rock Group of Preference...either RAF Blue/Grey or Desert Khaki...TOTALLY up to being 'kicked' about/chucked out of windows/stomped upon...a GREAT piece of Kit... from the 'Army & Navy Surplus Store'... ?   ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)