Beginner Questions

Started by richafricanus, 11 January 2021, 01:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richafricanus

Played our first game yesterday and really enjoyed the rules (except the fact that the pages are already falling out my rulebook - grrr...).

We could make sense of most of the rules pretty easily but a couple of questions that came up:
1. Movement penalty for moving through dense terrain (woods, buildings, etc):  It appears you move the unit up to the edge, stop and then make a 2nd move in/through.  But do units slow down when moving in the dense terrain?
2. You can only move through a gap of 2cm - but is there a minimum gap you can fire through?

thanks!

Zypheria

1- I know it's somewhere but  now I can't find it

2- Pag 34 - FIRING

Line of fire : [...] Units m(a)y only fire at an enemy unit through a gap between other units (friendly or enemy), that is at least 2cm wide.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

There is no speed penalty as such for terrain, but you stop at the far edge as you go through.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

richafricanus

Quote from: ianrs54 on 11 January 2021, 09:09:49 AM
There is no speed penalty as such for terrain, but you stop at the far edge as you go through.
So what is the difference in movement between an obstacle (linear terrain) and dense terrain? 

richafricanus

Quote from: Zypheria on 11 January 2021, 07:38:45 AM
2- Pag 34 - FIRING

Line of fire : [...] Units m(a)y only fire at an enemy unit through a gap between other units (friendly or enemy), that is at least 2cm wide.
Thanks.  I see it's an errata.  I'll make sure I've written them all in before asking any more questions.  :) (And it's p.35 not p.34  ;))

In effect there is no differance - you stop at the obstical or terrain edge, and roll another order to proceed. Once over an obstcal there is no futher penalty, but for an area you stop at the next edge and roll a futher order. You can use house rules to reduce speed if you wish, or declare terrain impassible but thats your decision.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Shedman

There are differences in the rules between "dense terrain" and "area terrain"

Have a look at the Terrain Movement Summary table on page 13

There is no movement reduction in any terrain type

However...

Linear
troops usually stop before crossing it and then can cross it on their next turn

Area   
troops can enter area terrain but must immediately stop inside the terrain edge
troops can leave area terrain provided they are at the terrain edge

Dense
depending on the troop type there can be a command penalty - see the Command Phase on page 22