Your SVA7 Soviet Infantry Gun

Started by lentulus, 08 January 2021, 09:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lentulus

You know, you don't have a topic for "reviews"?   ;)

Anyway, just got my latest order, and those infantry guns are the best yet.  I love the single part cast, with no wheels glued to my fingertips.  The detail on the underside as well as the top no less is brilliant, down to the hint of treat on the tires.

Are the kneeling gunners new?  They are new to me, and a far more appropriate gunner for the small size of the weapon!

Lovely work!

John Cook

09 January 2021, 01:13:16 AM #1 Last Edit: 09 January 2021, 01:28:00 AM by John Cook
Good idea.  A 'Reviews' topic would be very useful, not only for Pendraken products but for other manufacturers figures and associated wargames products, tools, books, whatever.

Orcs

Had not seen this one. Looks a lovely model and I have put it on my list of future purchases. do you get 1 or two models in a pack?

The reason I ask is that on the website you get two models  with a total of 8 crew, but the  same gun but with spoked wheels(Horse Drawn?)  SVA8, only has one gun and 3 crew.

So not sure if SVA7 is exceptional value or its priced wrong?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

SVA8 is the larger field gun not an infantry gun, possibly why it's one not two?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno II

Quote from: John Cook on 09 January 2021, 01:13:16 AM
Good idea.  A 'Reviews' topic would be very useful, not only for Pendraken products but for other manufacturers figures and associated wargames products, tools, books, whatever.

Don't agree, in the slightest.

Why on earth should Leon allow free adverts for/to other manufacturers ?

fsn

Well, if he gets the right person to write the reviews.

"The Soviet infantry gun from X is Ok. Nothing to write home about. If you don't really care about the quality then go for it - I mean it is cheap. Just don't measure it. The wheels (only) are right for a 12mm product, and the gun barrel is at least 2mm too short. There are crew - I think they're meant to be Soviet, but the detail is so lacking you could use them for British 8th Army, Sikh for 1846 or Poniatowski's Poles. To compare it to the Pendraken offering is like deciding to give the Golden Apple to Anne Hathaway or Vicky Pollard; it is to compare a Bach Cantata to the noise Biggy Small makes; to liken the knees of the 1986 winner of Pontin's Knobbly Knees competition to the dimpled perfection of Milady's patellas."

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: lentulus on 08 January 2021, 09:42:27 PM
Anyway, just got my latest order, and those infantry guns are the best yet.  I love the single part cast, with no wheels glued to my fingertips.  The detail on the underside as well as the top no less is brilliant, down to the hint of treat on the tires.

Are the kneeling gunners new?  They are new to me, and a far more appropriate gunner for the small size of the weapon!

Great stuff, good to hear that they arrived and that you're happy with them!  The gunners might be new, we added a few new Soviet crews a while back as the originals were looking a bit tired.  I want to revamp most of the artillery crews later this year as some of them are very old now.

Quote from: John Cook on 09 January 2021, 01:13:16 AM
Good idea.  A 'Reviews' topic would be very useful, not only for Pendraken products but for other manufacturers figures and associated wargames products, tools, books, whatever.

Potentially but I might have another option coming soon for this.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Quote from: Ithoriel on 09 January 2021, 03:07:58 PM
SVA8 is the larger field gun not an infantry gun, possibly why it's one not two?

That would explain it , I thought there would be a logical explanation.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

10 January 2021, 12:48:26 AM #8 Last Edit: 10 January 2021, 10:13:58 AM by Leon
Quote from: Techno II on 09 January 2021, 03:44:55 PM
Don't agree, in the slightest.

Why on earth should Leon allow free adverts for/to other manufacturers ?

Because competition encourages innovation, helps a business keep abreast of developments and, as a result, it produces better products and, most importantly, ones the customer wants.  Competition is nothing to be afraid of and I wouldn't assume that reviews are always going to be positive?  

EDIT: Quote fixed.