What the last rules set you played in 2021

Started by Steve J, 06 January 2021, 02:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Ithoriel on 18 August 2021, 12:57:49 PM
While I understand the desire to PLAY sport, I have never really understood the desire to watch it.

Watching cricket, for me, has all the fascination of watching a bird bath evaporate.

Now if you'd said Golf, Tennis or snooker......
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Shadow of the Eagles
2) What armies were confronted? - French vs Austrians 1809
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very much, although a few queries.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No.
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - This game flowed nicely and I remembered most of the rules without needing to use the rulebook, only the QRS. The action was based upon part of the battle of Eggmuhl and gave a historical result, but certainly not one sided.
7) What could have been improved? - A couple of queries during the game that I need to resolve via re-reading the relevant part of the book or a query on the forum.

FierceKitty

Mmm, women's tennis is one of the very few sports I'll watch. Navratilova was like a great ballerina.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

ronan

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Liber Militum : Tercios
2) What armies were confronted? - Holy Roman vs Franco-Dutch
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - no. I did not play that much
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo (Altough these rules are not very good for solo, I wanted to refresh my memory)
6) What went well? - The game was OK (I had no games for many month ! no figs, no rpg .. )
7) What could have been improved? - I need to find  a good way to play solo with Tercios.

May be I' ll find some energy to paint again..

Scorpio_Rocks

1) What rule set did you use in your last game? - Seven Days to the River Rhine (Great Escape Games' "Cold War Gone Hot" rules)
2) What armies were confronted? - USSR Vs British (BAOR)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Mostly - the "rules" are fairly easy and minimal
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - The game went very well - we soon got into the swing of it's innovative initiative system and really enjoyed the differences to Team Yankee
7) What could have been improved? - We improved significantly in our second game making better choices in force composition and in "Reacting" within the games initiative/command system. Both of us were unable to react / hit a thing with our AA / SAM assets so the Attack Helos were a constant pain

Overall we really enjoyed it and will now using these and will be buying "Iron Cross", the WW2 "version", to replace Team Yankee and Flames of War
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

T13A

Hi

1) What rule set did you use in your last game? - Black Powder
2) What armies were confronted? - Austrians v Prussians (SYW)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Mostly, but certainly not entirely.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - The basics in terms of shooting, moving.
7) What could have been improved? - At the end we were still left slightly frustrated (see previous posts on this thread) in that we seem to play parts of the rules differently every time we play, mainly down to the way the rules are written. We are going to give 'Honours of War' another go to see how they compare although we did try them a couple of times two years ago and for some reason at the time they didn't 'float our boats' either.  :-

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Chad

1) What rule set did you use in your last game? - Teilight of the Soldiers Kings
2) What armies were confronted? - Prussian vs Austrian & Russian (SYW)
3) Sid you feel comfortable with the rule set? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this rule set? - Yes
5) Hiw many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - The simple but effective combat system
7) What could have been improved? - Not a lot. Any questions we had were answered fully by Nick Dorrell. We made a house rule to improve the Bombardment process.

Norm

1) What rule set did you use in your last game? - 'O' Group
2) What armies were confronted? - German / British
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - it was a first proper playing so the rulebook was forever being referenced, but is is easy to find your way around the well explained rules
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - first full blooding, I have had previous testing of sub-systems
5) How many players were in the game? - solo
6) What went well? - There was a strong subject flavour and the rules are picked up surprisingly quickly
7) What could have been improved? - It was a very small scenario, too small for the full flavour of the rules to be imparted.

FierceKitty

1) What rule set did you use in your last game?                         Ball and Bayonnette
2) What armies were confronted?                                             Prussian vs Austrian
3) Did you feel comfortable with the rule set?                            Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this rule set?                 No
5) Hiw many players were in the game?                                     Two
6) What went well?                                                                  I won again, at last.
7) What could have been improved?                                          My Prussian artillery did very poorly, and a unit of veteran cuirassiers broke when a fluke shot killed a nearby general.
8 ) What part of his battered person is Phil going to injure next?  My money's on a deep puncture to the left wrist.

Dave Knight

1) What rule set did you use in your last game? - Test of Resolve Wars of the Roses
2) What armies were confronted? - Lancastrian v  Yorkist
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Should be - I am one of the co - authors  :)
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no I have played very little else for the last couple of years
5) How many players were in the game? - 3
6) What went well? - it was a playtest of a battle - it worked out pretty well and was good fun
7) What could have been improved? - Minor tweaks to the scenario - but that is why we do playtests. :)

Raider4

Quote from: FierceKitty on 11 September 2021, 09:43:03 AM
1) What rule set did you use in your last game?                         Ball and Bayonnette

What on earth is a "Bayonette"?

Ithoriel

Quote from: Raider4 on 11 September 2021, 08:39:33 PM

"The term bayonette itself dates back to the second half of the 16th century, but it is not clear whether bayonets at the time were knives that could be fitted to the ends of firearms, or simply a type of knife." - Wikipedia
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Quote from: Raider4 on 11 September 2021, 08:39:33 PM

The spelling of the seventeenth century. I'm showing my age.

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Ever used the more demanding utterance snip snap snorum?