Started by Steve J, 06 January 2021, 02:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Hachiman - homebrew Feudal Japan rules
2) What armies were confronted? - Warring States Chu vs Qin (taking some liberties with the time period of the rules)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - solo
6) What went well? Quite a bit. I ended up playing the game over the course of about a week (it's great having a permanent hobby space to leave games up!) and got to test out a lot of the rule modifications and refinements. Game was brutal and had a lot of dynamic back and forth throughout so could easily have gone either way. There was one commander in particular who seemed to be everywhere at once!
7) What could have been improved? Few tweaks off the back of it, streamlining some modifiers and simplifying the charge test, but nothing too major. Rules weren't a 100% match for the time period but a lot of the core mechanics worked well and with a few adaptions could easily make a period-specific version.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20990.0.html

Bunny

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Hail Caesar
2) What armies were confronted? - Seleucid v Ptolomey
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, but somewhat ring rusty
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, I've played them a couple of times
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - For a simple and quick game. Never played solo before and was ok
7) What could have been improved? - Both sides had their fair share of good and bad die rolls.  I added a 'Bolt Action' style random activation, each commander was numbered and a corresponding number was placed in a bag and drawn randomly.  The drawn commander was then activated and he diced for his command as normal HC rules. It added a little extra uncertainty and worked quite well.

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - For King and Parliament
2) What armies were confronted? - Royalist v Scots Covenanter (first outing for the Scots).
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - Pretty much everything from my point of view, Royalist dice throws were not good to put it mildly. You know you are going to have a good day when Prince Rupert's regiment of (veteran) horse charge your poorly mounted of Scots lancers and are destroyed in the process!
7) What could have been improved? - See above!

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

Steve J

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Steve J on 28 July 2021, 12:15:18 PM
That's a very nice looking game Paul 8).

Seconded. Those Scottish scouts are really well disguised, very canny!

Techno II

pierre the shy

Very nice looking game Paul  :-bd

As a FK&P player myself I am intreged to see your gridded mat/cloth......did you make it yourself, or can you tell us where its from?

i hope my Scots lancers are able to emulate their performance against the NMA at Inverkeithing when we finally get to play my scenario.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

T13A

Hi Pierre

Thanks for the comment. Actually the game was played at my friend Lee's house and the mat is his; I understand that he got it from DeepCut Studios:

https://www.deepcutstudio.com/

I think he got it custom made rather than 'off the shelf', it's 8ft x 5ft with 6 inch boxes just marked at the intersections and I believe it cost just over 100 euros plus shipping.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - I played MeG, my daughter played StarcWars Legion
2) What armies were confronted? - Mid Republican Roman vs Hoplites and Rebels vs Droid Separatists
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, and no.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two on each game.
6) What went well? - Imi smashed her opponent, killing at least a droid squad a turn and avoiding Count Duckula. I smashed the Greeks shortly after.
7) What could have been improved? - Better windows to watch the pretty impressive storm!

Despite her autism and verbal/non-verbal tourettes being awful, Imi was really confident and in control of thebgame, sensibly takking through the rules with her opponentwhonis an experienced player but has not played during the pandemic, and then destroying him.
I'm so proud!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Quote from: T13A on 28 July 2021, 10:01:38 PM
Hi Pierre

Thanks for the comment. Actually the game was played at my friend Lee's house and the mat is his; I understand that he got it from DeepCut Studios:

https://www.deepcutstudio.com/

I think he got it custom made rather than 'off the shelf', it's 8ft x 5ft with 6 inch boxes just marked at the intersections and I believe it cost just over 100 euros plus shipping.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Paul

Thanks Paul I will have a look, but given my recent experiences with overseas shipping I'm a bit hesitant about ordering anything more for a while.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

FierceKitty

29 July 2021, 04:50:05 AM #176 Last Edit: 29 July 2021, 04:52:00 AM by FierceKitty
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - White Man's Burden
2) What armies were confronted? - Victorians vs Abyssinians
5) How many players were in the game? - Two; Lee wanted revenge for a recent British defeat
6) What went well? - The British artillery performed below expectations, and the African guns actually got a few hits in. We managed to close quickly, which is always important with low-tech armies against good shooters.
7) What could have been improved? - I had nothing to wish for this time.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Quote from: Lord Speedy of Leighton on 28 July 2021, 11:02:22 PM
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - I played MeG, my daughter played StarcWars Legion
2) What armies were confronted? - Mid Republican Roman vs Hoplites and Rebels vs Droid Separatists
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, and no.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two on each game.
6) What went well? - Imi smashed her opponent, killing at least a droid squad a turn and avoiding Count Duckula. I smashed the Greeks shortly after.
7) What could have been improved? - Better windows to watch the pretty impressive storm!

Despite her autism and verbal/non-verbal tourettes being awful, Imi was really confident and in control of thebgame, sensibly takking through the rules with her opponentwhonis an experienced player but has not played during the pandemic, and then destroying him.
I'm so proud!

And so you both should be :-bd :-bd :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - 'O' Group (WWII)
2) What armies were confronted? - British v German
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No, not yet at least, although I was getting there by the end.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - After just one trial game I really like these rules. The 'feel' was right for WWII (IMHO) and what happened on the table could easily have been in a book about the action. Much more emphasis on command and control and not exactly knowing where the enemy is and what you are up against. 
7) What could have been improved? - Although I like what I have seen so far playing solo (after just one game), having a real opponent would bring out the best in these rules. Problem is that none of the small group of friends I play with are really into WWII  :(

RAF Recce photo of the battlefield and some pics taken by the PR guys:

Two platoons of A Coy, 6th Green Howards approaching an orchard with some armour in support:

The same two platoons now occupying the orchard come under accurate German mortar fire:

Just when you thought your day couldn't get any worse......

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Techno II

:-bd

Where have the previous piccies gone ? 

Cheers - Phil. :-\