What the last rules set you played in 2021

Started by Steve J, 06 January 2021, 02:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Ten more sons!
2) What armies were confronted? - Yorkist and Lancastrian.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, I've been playing them since I binned my copy of DBR.
5) How many players were in the game? - Two
6) What went well? - Lee got some dismal rolls when she needed good ones.
7) What could have been improved? - So did I. Where, o where was my off-table flank march?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Big Insect

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? Future War Commander online via Tabletop Simulator (TTS) /Steam/Discord

2) What armies were confronted? Space Marines  vs Hunter Scavengers (Orks) in Scenario 1 Colonisation - Recce

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? Yes - but it's over 2 years since I last played them and my head is full of BKCIV and CWCII

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? No we've been using them regularly since they were published in 2009

5) How many players were in the game? 1 Marines and 1 Scav

6) What went well? Game still underway (paused) - early on the Marines got a bit over confident and I lost a stand of infantry in assault (ouch) - and with an army BP:3 that is a big issue - but my FAO was on top form and managed some serious damage on the 'Scav's with 2 lots of Light Orbital strikes - but I must remember this is a Recce mission (stick to the scenario objectives - killing Scavs isn't everything ... or is it  :D :D :D ). We will resume next week - but as the Scav massive walker has just arrived it might be time to airlift the grunts home.

7) What could have been improved? It took me a bit of time to get the hang of the virtual FWC table - and picking up (& in my case dropping) units can be tricky - but I am learning - so thanks to Gordon for his patience.

I'll definitely play more - an Encounter game would be good.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

steve_holmes_11

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Palaeo Diet (Eat or be Eaten): http://irregularwars.blogspot.com/p/palaeo-diet.html
2) What armies were confronted? - Primitive Humanoids against Prehistoric Mammals
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, I think this is the 4th run, but the first time we played on a Zoom link.
5) How many players were in the game? - Four
6) What went well? - Game moved fast and we managed four connected scenarios to complete a year of tribal hunter-gathering.
7) What could have been improved? - If I'm extremely fussy, camera resolution made miniature recognition difficult - solved by pairing each mini with a colored counter.

Palaeo Diet is a cooperative (usually) game of early humans hunting animals for food (but sometimes becoming the food).
We selected it four our Zoom game due to the simplicity of having either one man, or one man and his canine chum.
Turns are short, and events resolve quickly, so things moved along nicely.
The rules don't depend on precise millimetres, or degrees of wheeling, so a mid-res camera suffices.

This was a first attempt to game over Zoom, and it worked rather well.
It set my expectation for future games:
I don't think significantly larger games, or ones with more complicated die rolling sequences would play well.
Good lighting, and a steady base for your camera are critical to the experience.

We had 2 cameras: One providing a fixed panoramic shot, and a hand held phone camera for roving close-up work.
The Camera phone was occasionally useful, but induced the occasional seasick vibe.

After the games I felt the same sort of Zoom fatigue one experiences after 2 or 3 hours of consecutive meetings.
This is a known medical thing, caused by the eyes and ears straining to extract a signal from reduced quality video and audio streams (blocking, lag, sound break-up ...)

Norm

09 May 2021, 06:30:36 AM #108 Last Edit: 09 May 2021, 06:59:48 AM by Norm
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - Bonnie Blue Flag
2) What armies were confronted? - ACW Union v onfederate
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - mostly
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, one previous play.
5) How many players were in the game? - solo
6) What went well? - Had two brigades per side and mixed tings up with raw, experienced and veteran troops. There was a good level of player engagement with the game and the performance and action of individual units felt like it mattered and had some character.
7) What could have been improved? - I would have liked a bit more information in the movement section to better show how to deal with some situations instead of just relying on wargamer experience.

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - BKCII
2) What armies were confronted? - British vs Axis Battlegroup Italy 1944
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - I've been using them since publication.
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo
6) What went well? - The Italians tenaciously held on despite a lot of firepower thrown at them, but then they were dug-in or in stone buildings, so felt right.
7) What could have been improved? - Both sides could have had some better activation rolls at times.

Full AAR and campaign overview to follow.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - IACTA ALEA EST
2) What armies were confronted? - Goths and Romans
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No, I've been playing them a good while..
6) What went well? - Lee got some dismal rolls when she needed good ones; I shot unbelieveably well on one occasion and stopped a legion dead.
7) What could have been improved? - Lee always got to be first mover when I was menacing a flank or rear. King Fridigern was transfixed by the first shot of the game.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Shedman

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? Table Air Combat (TAC) via Tabletop Simulator
2) What armies were confronted? Luftwaffe vs RAF over the Channel
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? Yes - there isn't a lot to  them
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? No
5) How many players were in the game? 2 Germans who had to bomb 2 factories and sink a merchant convy and 3 Allied who had to stop them
6) What went well? The rules represent this level of air war very well
7) What could have been improved? The movement cards were a bit tricky to handle and the Germans were outnumbered

And I hope I've kept the image to a reasonable size

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

T13A

Hi

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? - For King and Parliament
2) What armies were confronted? - Royalist's v Parliamentarian's.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, but very rusty, first face to face game since Feb last year.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No.
6) What went well? - Some dismal die roles on my part, Rupert lost both of his brigades of horse, Sir Jacob Astley was killed and shame upon shame, the King's Royal Standard was captured by the Parliamentarian's!
7) What could have been improved? - See above!

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

DecemDave

If we beat the King ninety-nine times, yet he is King still..........
Great looking game though

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Nice looking game Paul  :-bd

What's the scale of the buildings in the last picture? Are they Battlescale Miniatures 6mm ones?

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

T13A

Hi Pierre

Thanks. The buildings are 10mm Battlescale (with 15mm figures), not mine unfortunately, they are my good friend Lee's who painted them as well. They look great on the table and as of today (I have just finished putting in an order) they have a 20% sale on (with code FB20).

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!