moon phase

Started by Nirnman, 06 January 2021, 10:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nirnman

I know this is not wargaming related but hoping to probe the hive mind to see if anyone can answer a puzzling question?
I am sitting he and noticed the moon is still visible in the sky this morning at 10:30 am GMT. it is a waning half-moon phase and
I for the first time really noticed the Earth's shadow casts a straight line across the moon's disc.
Now as both the Earth and the Moon are spherical why doesn't the shadow cast on the Moon appear as curve (as it does over the Sun during a solar eclipse)
Probably someone will be able to explain this.
It's amazing what little things occur to my mind when I am not involved ibn doing something productive such as painting wargame figures.

Leon

Not sure exactly on that, but the shadow/line on the moon is the angle of the sun against it rather than any shadow effect from other objects.  A half moon is only getting half of its surface illuminated by the sun so that should be the only time when the shadow would appear in a straight line.  Any other angle (quarter or almost full moon) and the curvature of the moon itself causes the shadow to become curved.

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sean66

If you can see the moon during daylight hours.
then the moon the earth and the sun make the three points on a triangle.
that is why the shadow of the moon is straight.
Regards
Sean

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Ronan, ce n'est pas une lune!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Nirnman

Many thanks for the usual prompt and clear explanations to what was puzzling my idle mind this morning

steve_holmes_11

The line is a curve, you are viewing it sideways on.

Another commentator has observed that a moon in daylight means Sun and Moon are within a limited angle of each other.
This means you'll not see the extremes of new of full moon by daylight (Some exceptions for locations very close to the earth's poles, midnight sun and all that).

I remember Patrick Moore extolling the half moon phase (and those close to it).
The very long shadows allowed him with a nice, but amateur telescope set-up, to map out much of the moon's surface.
It is his greatest claim to fame among astronomers, and his knowledge was key to selecting landing sites for the Apollo program.

ronan

Quote from: mad lemmey on 06 January 2021, 03:27:23 PM
Ronan, ce n'est pas une lune!

The camo isn't good enough, so ?
:D

FierceKitty

Quote from: sean66 on 06 January 2021, 11:26:38 AM
If you can see the moon during daylight hours.
then the moon the earth and the sun make the three points on a triangle.
that is why the shadow of the moon is straight.
Regards
Sean

Walter Theresa Friederich?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

chrishanley

To indicate if the moon is waxing or waning there is a little rhyme which goes;
If the white is on the right, it is getting bright.
So referring to the picture of the half-moon earlier in the thread, in about a week it will be a full moon.
Chris