Greetings from Italy

Started by flyingsuppo, 05 January 2021, 07:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Pringle

"I never saw a line of rebels that wasn't ragged as a ram's horn ..." (a half-remembered quote from somewhere or other)

Those look like very convincing rebels to me!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
BBBBlog:
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/
BBB on FB:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412549408869331

flyingsuppo

Paulr,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will definitely touch up the flags. 

Thanks,

Drew

paulr

Your welcome, I'm looking forward to seeing them with the basing done
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

flyingsuppo

I just ordered some scatter from Leon, so I need to learn how to base these figures.  Any advice?

sean66

Quote from: flyingsuppo on 04 March 2021, 06:56:46 AM
I just ordered some scatter from Leon, so I need to learn how to base these figures.  Any advice?

I roughen the top of the MDF ( a few scratch marks works well ) i then use watered down PVA glue and paint it onto the base. Then use fine sand (bird sand works well) immerse the base into the sand wait about 30 seconds, take base out and tap on the underside of the base  (while holding it at a 90v degree angle) this will knock off any excess sand off the base. Leave to dry for 24 hours then paint ( i use Dark earth. leave that dry for half an hour then light drybrush of skeleton)
then after another hour use the watered down PVA to paint your areas of grass then put the grass mix onto those area's. then same again for tufts.
Regards
Sean

flyingsuppo

Thanks, Sean.  I'll give it a try.

mmcv

Quote from: sean66 on 04 March 2021, 09:11:47 AM
I roughen the top of the MDF ( a few scratch marks works well ) i then use watered down PVA glue and paint it onto the base. Then use fine sand (bird sand works well) immerse the base into the sand wait about 30 seconds, take base out and tap on the underside of the base  (while holding it at a 90v degree angle) this will knock off any excess sand off the base. Leave to dry for 24 hours then paint ( i use Dark earth. leave that dry for half an hour then light drybrush of skeleton)
then after another hour use the watered down PVA to paint your areas of grass then put the grass mix onto those area's. then same again for tufts.
Regards
Sean

Out of interest, in this system do you stick your figures to the base first, add them during the process, or at the end?

I've been doing a similar system (on advice from others here) of painting the mdf base with thick PVA and paint (slightly watered down but not so much its pouring off the base) then embed the figures in that paint/glue mix, move it about a bit to cover the bases of the figures then sprinkle over sand/flock and let it all dry. Then next day apply a thinned layers of PVA and water to strengthen it and add any grasses or scatter i want. I may sometimes apply a wash or dry brush before adding these, but often find I don't need to if there's enough colour variance in the sand/flock/etc. And it means not having to try and get a paintbrush in between the figures on the base, which is a pain for tighter formations and often ends up with grass stuck to faces!

sean66

Quote from: mmcv on 04 March 2021, 12:19:43 PM
Out of interest, in this system do you stick your figures to the base first, add them during the process, or at the end?

I've been doing a similar system (on advice from others here) of painting the mdf base with thick PVA and paint (slightly watered down but not so much its pouring off the base) then embed the figures in that paint/glue mix, move it about a bit to cover the bases of the figures then sprinkle over sand/flock and let it all dry. Then next day apply a thinned layers of PVA and water to strengthen it and add any grasses or scatter i want. I may sometimes apply a wash or dry brush before adding these, but often find I don't need to if there's enough colour variance in the sand/flock/etc. And it means not having to try and get a paintbrush in between the figures on the base, which is a pain for tighter formations and often ends up with grass stuck to faces!

I've painted the figure first (paint base of figure same colour as you use for your earth basecoat)then glued figure onto MDF ( i use a craft stanley knife to cut a few lines in the base) (other bases are available). then when figure is solid to the base that's when I start. If you look on my blog below youll see some examples of bases both cut then sand glued onto them.
Regards
Sean

mmcv

Quote from: sean66 on 04 March 2021, 01:28:47 PM
I've painted the figure first (paint base of figure same colour as you use for your earth basecoat)then glued figure onto MDF ( i use a craft stanley knife to cut a few lines in the base) (other bases are available). then when figure is solid to the base that's when I start. If you look on my blog below youll see some examples of bases both cut then sand glued onto them.
Regards
Sean

Yeah I'd do that for irregulars, cavalry, shallow bases or 20th century where the base density is lower, but closer order or dense larger bases I find it's difficult to apply the PVA after they've been glued down without hitting the figures with blobs of painty glue though!