French Napoleonic Army

Started by Smithy, 05 January 2021, 07:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smithy

Hi all
So further to my welcome post below (if I've managed to do it right) are pictures of my first 10mm painted minis.
After getting back into painting with 28mm last year I decided to get these as a first trial run of 10mm to see if I could do them justice. Ideally I want to fight big battalion large scale engagements and 10mm seemed to fit both budget and scale wise. Anyhoo I'm pleased with how these came out so now on a batch of 120 ish line infantry and have an Austrian Army pack on route.
These will not be 100% historically accurate representations as I wanted bold and bright colours for effect (and I definitely won't do cockades and details justice)
These were block painted and then had a was with Army Painter Blue ink for jackets, Nuln Oil for the metals, blacks and also breeches to try and give some depth and finally soft tone wash for the rest
I'm not overly happy with the basing so have changed slightly for the line infantry next up.
Any comments and suggestions gratefully received
Cheers
Smithy

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

They look good.

If you want to add another level to the painting, then I'd suggest adding a few highlights to the bed roll, pack and arms / shoulders. But doing this always takes a while.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

Well done sir, they'll look well massed on the battlefield

Steve J

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

They look cracking !!  :-bd

Cheers - Phil.

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

As you asked for suggestions

As Fred mentioned a few highlights (even a dry brush) would lift the look

There look to be straps on the bed roll, painting these would add significantly to the look as they are quite prominent :-\

I think the basing would be improved with a finer textured flock

Having said all that they would be more than welcome on my gaming table anytime and are a very good first effort
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Smithy

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. I've probably shied away from highlighting as 1. I'm impatient, 2. I'm not sure I'd get a good result. But will definitely give it a go, thanks for advice on straps and basing also.
I've been finding the white a bit of a pain but on the line infantry shako cords I used some lahmium medium to thin it down and this gave a good flow so will go back with this onto the bed roll straps
Thanks all!

The French are much easier to pain in great coats with shako covers. Then I am very lazy.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Smithy

Thanks for all the feedback, as Fred and Paul suggested I went back and added the straps to the blanket rolls and have included these on this next batch, line infantry. Annoyingly looking at the pics I've missed a couple of straps! Still have a few bases to finish off (note the lonely looking command stand)
Very excited to have received my Austrian Army Pack in the post today so once the remainder of the French are completed will be starting on these!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner