Warlord Epic ACW comparisons

Started by Norm, 05 January 2021, 02:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I have painted up some of the new Warlord Games Epic ACW figures and blogged an article that covers that and that also compares the figures with Kallistra 12mm and Peter Pig 12mm figures from my collection.

Link

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/01/warlord-epic-acw-painting-and-comparing.html

jimduncanuk

Worth watching the video before you start.
My Ego forbids a signature.

mmcv

Good read Norm, interesting to see how they turned out. It does give a pleasing mass effect. How wide are the units themselves? i.e. if you were to use your own bases rather than the 60mm bases provided would they fit neatly on a 40 or 50mm frontage and allow better alignment?

Norm

The bases are 60mm, the infantry strip elbow to elbow are just under 55mm.

fred.

Great write up Norm - and some really useful photos from the different angles.

The overhead shot really shows that these don't match with the 15mm figures. They seem close enough to Kallistra - do you have an Pendraken ACW to compare to (or other range I suppose)?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Norm

Thanks all.

Fred I have 10mm napoleonics that are ranked two deep. They are noticeably smaller than the Warlord, though in marching pose, do at least manage to maintain a gap between the two ranks that is similar to the Warlord base - but basically it is not a match.

Most of the comparisons that I have seen involved standing a figure next to the warlord strip and viewing from face on. This tends to give a height comparison, but we lose something of the cubic bulk comparison, which the aerial shots do give, plus that aerial view is the real position that the gamers eye will be in.

fred.

Thanks Norm. I guess that would be the case but thought it would be good to get confirmation

Cubic bulk is a great term and often what is most telling in figure comparisons.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

John Cook

Does anybody remember Gordon and Hague Miniatures' boxed 10mm plastic ACW sets?  These were also around 12mm in size and incompatible, as Warlord Epic are, with any other ranges.  I suppose the idea is it to make a boxed set attractive to newcomers, who then have only once source of miniatures.  I wonder if these will be any more successful than Gordon and Hague's were. 

Steve J

Thanks for the review Norm as it was very useful :).

Leman

Can't help thinking one base equals one unit/battery would give a fine game, but probably not with BP or F&F. Better with something like Altar of Freedom or BBB, the latter using minidice/number counters to record losses.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Norm

The gap between unit blocks would lend itself to a formation being a brigade and the basis are the individual regiments. those looking for Gettysburg army level type games may be drawn that way.

paulr

Very useful as always, thanks Norm
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!