Twilight of Soldier Kings SYW PDF rules and new scenarios available

Started by Hwiccee, 04 January 2021, 06:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwiccee

Hi all,

I hope you have all had a good holiday season.

We have finally got some PDF's done for the Twilight of the Soldier Kings rules. The rules are for large battles in the era of Frederick the Great 1730-1770.

The rules themselves are now available as a PDF and also 4 new scenarios. The scenarios are the battles of Lobositz (1756), Hastenbeck (1757), Gross Jagerdorf (1757) and Moys (1757). The Lobositz scenario also contains information on a 'What if' battle between the Prussians and the combined Austrian and Saxon armies involved in the campaign.

The rules and scenario PDF's are available here – https://www.wyrehistoricbooks.co.uk/catalogue/pdf-rules-scenarios

mmcv

Hi Hwiccee, are any of the other Twilight rulesets or scenarios available in pdf or planning to be in future?

Hwiccee

mmcv,

I am afraid they are not available as PDF's and are not likely to be soon. The 'Soldier Kings' set is published, in effect, by me and I am in favour of PDF's. The 'Sun King' and 'Divine Right' sets are published by the Pike and Shot society who are a non profit organisation run by volunteers. The majority of the committee that runs this organisation is against PDF's. I am hoping that over time the society will come to see the value of PDF's but I think that will not be soon.

mmcv

Ah that's a shame, I greatly prefer pdfs, or indeed often get both hard copy and pdfs, but the lower price of pdf means it's nice to pick up some potential rules to get a feel for them or as inspiration for future, and can be easily read and referenced on my phone whenever the notion takes me. There does seem to be certain resistance amongst the "old guard" who fear the digital and piracy potential, though frankly it's not something that seems to be a widespread problem.

Are the differences between Soldier Kings and Sun King/Divine Right significant? I am intrigued by the rules, and watched a few of your YouTube videos as well, but at this point I've been far more drawn to the earlier eras. Though maybe it's time I do some reading on the period!

Hwiccee

I certainly think there is some 'old guard' resistance to PDF's within the society but also things are a little different with them & them not being a 'company'.

In any case on the differences between the various sets. They of course share many of the same mechanisms and this is why on the videos I suggest checking out some of the others. They can give you more of an idea of the way the mechanisms generally work. Unfortunately, the problem is in the details and the way things work in a particular. These eras are periods of great change and the idea of the rules is to show this. Each set covers a period between major changes & has rules/differences to reflect that.

Which earlier set are you interested in?

mmcv

Fair enough! I've no issue buying the "dead tree" books, they're not overly expensive by any stretch, just liked how you did the Soldier Kings pdf with the separate scenario downloads, especially when the scenarios appear to be spread across a couple of volumes for the Sun King ones, and I've not really been tempted by the WSS (yet!).

At present I'd be interested in the Williamite Wars, particularly in Ireland, so the Sun King rules are tempting. Divine Right has some appeal as well though as I've already some ECW troops and a stack of 2mm pike and shot awaiting a project to get them painted.

I'm working on clearing down a few ongoing projects so in the next couple of months can take up some new periods and the Twilight rules have intrigued me on and off so definitely tempted to pick one of them up to get the cogs turning.

Hwiccee

Thanks and I am glad you like the idea of the separate scenario downloads. This is very much the way the non society rules will go in the future. So for the upcoming Napoleonic set there will be a few few in the rules but everything else will be PDF's.

Yes Sun King works well for the Williamite wars and of course the Pendraken figures are fantastic for this era. The 2mm stuff has a certain charm as well. I actually used 2mm for most of my playtesting for the Divine Right rules. I am not sure how far along you are with the ECW but can I recommend you go for big units/bases, indeed this works well for the Williamite Wars. The ECW battles are relatively small and so big units really shine. The Williamite Wars are larger battles, particularly if you do the continental campaigns, but the same applies.

In any case I think your plan sounds good. If you have any problems get in touch.

Gwydion

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Twilight of Divine Right rules. I've tinkered with various rule sets for ECW and TYW, including my own for decades and I think these have the best combination of playability and flavour I've found (so far!).

I bought them about nine months ago, and I've played them several times (and bought more Pendraken TYW stuff as a result) - all solo of course under current circumstances, but they have fired my enthusiasm to kick off a small TYW based campaign based around a small Duchy defending the Palatinate. The Duke is a bit like Christian of Brunswick but not as mad (probably). We'll see if he is any better as a general over the next few months!

Hwiccee is always incredibly helpful and supportive if you have any queries.

Sorry they aren't in pdf  but bite the bullet and buy a tree based version (renewable forest locks up carbon in the new growth you know!)

mmcv

I've two small ECW forces so far. I did them on mostly separate bases with 3 40mm frontage bases making a 120mm frontage unit. I do somewhat regret this as the flexibility of multi bases is never really needed for ECW so been considering rebasing to single big bases at some point. I don't have space to play anything 120 frontage at the moment anyway really, so will be a few months before a cycle back to them. I've used them for FK&P but I'm sure they'll work for Twilight too.

The 2mm was mostly with an aim to making ones that can play out in smaller spaces, almost board game sizes. Handy for play testing rules too, have some 2mm reds and browns that I've used for a few 19th C rules before.

It is my birthday soon, maybe a few rule books would be nice. :-\

mmcv

Quote from: Gwydion on 25 January 2021, 12:00:01 PM
I can wholeheartedly recommend the Twilight of Divine Right rules. I've tinkered with various rule sets for ECW and TYW, including my own for decades and I think these have the best combination of playability and flavour I've found (so far!).

I bought them about nine months ago, and I've played them several times (and bought more Pendraken TYW stuff as a result) - all solo of course under current circumstances, but they have fired my enthusiasm to kick off a small TYW based campaign based around a small Duchy defending the Palatinate. The Duke is a bit like Christian of Brunswick but not as mad (probably). We'll see if he is any better as a general over the next few months!

Hwiccee is always incredibly helpful and supportive if you have any queries.

Sorry they aren't in pdf  but bite the bullet and buy a tree based version (renewable forest locks up carbon in the new growth you know!)

Sounds like a great campaign, I've been wanting to do some campaign games for a while but never had the space/time. Maybe this year!

mmcv

Twilight of the Sun King and Divine Right books arrived today, just in time to have a flick through at lunch.  :D Interesting concept and certainly looks like it has the potential for simple rules yet complex tactics.

Might have to stick some of the 2mm Pike and Shot I have to bases to try out a test game in the near future and see how I like it. 

Orcs

Quote from: Hwiccee on 24 January 2021, 08:14:11 PM
I certainly think there is some 'old guard' resistance to PDF's within the society but also things are a little different with them & them not being a 'company'.

I am not keen on PDFS, you nearly always end up[ printing most of them out anway. Also when you just want to look something up you have to go and power up the computer , whereas a book is far easier.

The only time I find PDFS really useful  either to do a search through the document for a rule, or to get something cheap I only have a slight interest in.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fred.

You clearly don't have an iPad (or other tablet) with that PDF rules are great. The first time I play I may print a few pages of the rules to make it easier to learn, but after the first couple of games having them electronically is great. I quite often like having both the hard copy and the PDF, but will use the PDF for reference far more often.

And for those rules I only have hard cover of, I often miss having a PDF.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Gwydion

Quote from: mmcv on 02 February 2021, 03:29:37 PM
Twilight of the Sun King and Divine Right books arrived today, just in time to have a flick through at lunch.  :D Interesting concept and certainly looks like it has the potential for simple rules yet complex tactics.

Might have to stick some of the 2mm Pike and Shot I have to bases to try out a test game in the near future and see how I like it. 
Yes, do that. I found them interesting as a read but much better playing through them. I should think using 2mm is and ideal quick entry to trying them out. Hope you enjoy them.

mmcv

Quote from: Orcs on 02 February 2021, 08:05:25 PM
I am not keen on PDFS, you nearly always end up[ printing most of them out anway. Also when you just want to look something up you have to go and power up the computer , whereas a book is far easier.

The only time I find PDFS really useful  either to do a search through the document for a rule, or to get something cheap I only have a slight interest in.

Having it on the phone is handy, I often read through for inspiration in bed at night, or on a work break. Army lists and scenarios are especially good as pdf. Means you don't have to go find a physical book, the answers are always in your pocket. And searching is handy too. I'll often have my phone or tablet handy when playing as it's often quicker to find things.

Quote from: Gwydion on 02 February 2021, 09:36:32 PM
Yes, do that. I found them interesting as a read but much better playing through them. I should think using 2mm is and ideal quick entry to trying them out. Hope you enjoy them.

Yes the reading of them is deceptively simple so interested to try out the nuances when I've a chance.