2021 Deaths.

Started by Techno II, 04 January 2021, 07:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Or the fact that the Stones refused to appear on major American shows without black blues performers appearing too...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 03 February 2021, 12:49:13 PM
Some people suggest that as  you now had  White people playing Black peoples music the genre became much more acceptable.

It certainly received a far wider audience, both in terms of airplay and finding the songs in mainstream record shops.
Some of us followed that train back to the original artists.

Of course, white people playing back people's music goes back a bit further.
The New Orleans Rhythym Kings are an example of people doing it well.
Elvis Presley managed to rehash old blues classics into a rockabilly style, while maintaining their spirit.
Pat Boone's covers of Little Richard hits were musically dismal but commercially successful.
The British Invasion bands seemed to be a bunch of guys playing the music they loved (rather well in many cases), and filling the domestic gap left after Cliff's Move it.

The process isn't done:
More recent examples would include the 2-tone explosion, blue-eyed soul like Wham and Wet Wet Wet.
There's also been that crossover into hip-hop, with Vanilla Ice playing Boone to Eminem's Elvis.

I'm not sure hijacking an obits page for a music chat is altogether appropriate.
Let's close by acknowledging a recent cover version chain: Sinatra, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Captain Tom - You'll never walk alone.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

Quote from: mad lemmey on 05 February 2021, 07:59:03 PM
Christopher Plummer
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-55954950

A wonderful actor, turning in fantastic performances throughout my lifetime. A memorable Wellington in Waterloo, and a lovely foil as Kipling to Michael Caine and Sean Connery in 'The Man Who Would be King', one of my all time favourite films.  RIP, and respect for a life well lived.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

fsn

I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Watching the Sound of Music.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

My wife and daughter love 'The Sound of Music' and so are rather sad at the news he has died, but happy he had a great innings and left us with some wonderful films.

Poggle

He was in so many great movies, Waterloo of course, and the Battle of Britain, and worked up until quite recent times. A great innings, and he'll be sadly missed.

fsn

May have to watch this at the week end too.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Damn. The Reaper's really going for it, isn't he?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Heedless Horseman

Christopher Plummer. The Battle Of Britain and Waterloo. Two films that for all the inaccuracies, can never be bettered. Excellent roles in both... though, I will admit that my eyes were drawn to other things in some BoB scenes!  ;)
Also 'quite good' in The Sound Of Music'...which CAN grow on you, despite having been dragged to see it several times as a small child. We had a white cat called Edelweiss after the song. Still can't stand the singing kids, tho...  :o
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Techno II

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Only seen SoM once, but I own a copy of Waterloo
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

06 February 2021, 09:18:20 AM #72 Last Edit: 06 February 2021, 09:54:29 AM by FierceKitty
I've never played SOM, but I've hummed along to Waterloo; fancied the blonde one.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Elliesdad

Quote from: FierceKitty on 06 February 2021, 09:18:20 AM
I've never played SOM, but I've hummed along to Waterloo; fancied the blonde one.

Yes, we ALL fancied the blonde one...

steve_holmes_11

Four of Plummer's best.

Fall of the Roman Empire:
  Gladiator without all the gladiating:
  All-star cast (Loren, Guinness, Mason, Shariof) with Plummer playing Commodus (The bad guy out of Gladiator).
  Kills lots of Germans

Sound of Music:
  U-boat captain marries a nun and becomes a rockstar.
  Musical high point "Eidelweiss": a song rally the crowd and the bad guys realise they're beaten (Shameless copy form La Marseillaise in Casablanca, later homaged in the Blues Brothers).
  Doesn't kill any Germans, but makes them look rather foolish.
  Also this

Battle of Britain:
  Zoom, dakka dakka dakka, and plenty of tomato sauce for jerry.
  Spectacular visuals, some poignant personal stories, all-star cast.
  Kills lots of Germans.

Waterloo:
  The Iron Duke stands between Napoleon and Brussels.
  Spectacular visuals (Biggest civilian army ever - see also Pepsi's navy and the Knights of St John's airforce), all-star cast and exploding cannonballs.
  Finally teams up with the Germans.
  Kills lots of Frenchmen.