Cheers - Phil. :)

bigjackmac

bigjackmac

All,

1600 Local Time
5 March 1966
Near Hill 50, Quang Ngai Province, RVN
Operation Utah

The boys had accompanied Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines (L/3/1) in the final assault to secure Hill 50, and now they were attached to Mike Company, which was attacking the fortified village of Chau Nhai (3), which lies just east of Hill 50, from west to east, while India Company had swung around to the north and were attacking from east to west.

The boys' platoon was attacking on the far left flank of Lima Company, with the boy's squad on the far left flank of their platoon, on the left end of a line running north-south.  "Our job is to break into the northwest end of the village, securing a foothold, as the rest of the platoon swings in from the front.  We'll be tying down their left flank, making sure the NVA can't filter in behind them as they push east to clear the rest of the village," Corporal Little briefed the squad.  "So, what, Corporal, the seven of us are gonna assault the village, all by ourselves?" Jackson asked.  "No Jackson, we're gonna have all of Lima Company out there with us assaulting the village.  They just won't be anywhere you can see them.  But trust me, they're there," Corporal Little replied, as the squad busted into nervous laughter.  "Let's go, Marines."

Overview, north is up.  You can see the far eastern end of Hill 50 at bottom left, and the northwestern end of the fortified village of Chau Nhai (3) at bottom/far right.  Air and arty has worked the area over, leaving a significant number of craters dotting the landscape, which is otherwise covered with hedges and rice paddies.  The squad is approaching from the northwest (top left), seeking to get as close to the village as possible before the shooting starts.

The Marines have entered the area at top left, while the NVA occupy the village, from bottom center to far right.  The most important aspect to this is that the enemy has a bunker on each flank (right bottom center and far right top. Each bunker has a rifleman posted outside it for flank protection, while the NVA leader and last rifleman occupy the trenchline connecting the two bunkers.

The squad is beat to hell, down to seven combat effectives, including the Doc!  Corporal Little is very concerned with this mission, knowing it's going to take everything the squad's got if the enemy puts up even light resistance in this area of the village.

Right on time, the Marine 81mm mortars came in on Chau Nhai (3), hitting the center and east end of the NVA defensive line.

Jackson, Nik, McCaffrey, and Doc Johnson (top left) look on as Danny, Rivera, and Corporal Little begin traipsing across the rice paddies...

The NVA have sucked the Marines in, allowing the assault element to advance out into the open rice paddies, devoid of cover, when the two NVA riflemen in the West Bunker (bottom right) finally breaks the tension: 7.62mm rounds snap and zip past the exposed Marines, plowing into the paddies, kicking up geysers of dirty water.  Luckily for the Marines, non one is hit, but Danny (right) and Rivera (center) are suppressed, as Cpl Little (left) is pinned!

And the East Bunker (bottom right) immediately joins in, spraying with their AK-47s on full auto at the advancing Marines (top left to top center).

Corporal Little (bottom right) and Doc Johnson (bottom center right) are both suppressed by the fire from the East Bunker (top right); "@#$%!!!" screams Nik (bottom left), "return fire, return fire!  I don't have a shot at that bunker on the right (the West Bunker, just off camera to far right), hit it with the thumper!" Nik ordered McCaffrey, as he poured tracers from his M-60 into the East Bunker.  "Roger that!" replied McCaffrey, as he fired a 40mm HE round.

"Jackson, get on the horn and let'em know we need help, they're pinned down and dead meat out there in those rice paddies," Nik continued.  "Already on it, boss!" Jackson replied.

Back in the rice paddies, Cpl Little (bottom left), Rivera (left), and Danny (top center) are in Death Ground, with no way out but to fight, so all three open fire on the West Bunker (top right) with their M-14s on full auto...

Danny crawls up the firing port of the NVA's West Bunker.  He rolls onto his side, fishing a frag out of his pocket, then sweeps the safety clip off, pulls the pin, lets the spoon fly, and begins cooking off the grenade...

But the NVA rifleman in the trench (top right) spots him and fires, hitting  Danny (casualty figure at far left) in the back, though he still manages to roll the frag into the West Bunker, then flops backwards, away from the firing port, as the grenade goes off, killing the NVA inside!

To see the thrilling finish of Operation Utah, which would see a Medal of Honor awarded, please check the blog at:
https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2021/03/two-brothers-fight-17.html

Next fight coming soon.

V/R,
Jack

Techno II

Coo !  :o

Good one, Jack.

(What's the little maroon, yellow and white shrine (?) type 'wossname' next to some rather large 'pots' ?.....Or did I bypass that in the text ?......Probably.)

Cheers - Phil.  :)

bigjackmac

Thanks Phil.

I want to help, but I'm not following you.  "What's the little maroon, yellow, and white shrine"?  It's a Buddhist shrine, made of resin, from Flashpoint Minis.  Is that what you're asking for?

V/R,
Jack

Techno II

That'll be it, Jack.

Thanks - Phil. :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Another really good one Jack
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

bigjackmac

Gotcha Phil, and thanks Ian.

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

1045 Local Time
19 June 1966
5 Miles North of Phu Bai Combat Base, Thua Thien Province, RVN
Operation Dodge

Nikki and Danny were having a rough time, their first time back out in the field after being hit during Operation Utah, their bodies weak after their extended recuperation period.  But here they were again, humping the bush for the past two days after having trucked up north of Phu Bai from Da Nang.  Attached to 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment (2/4), the whole battalion had been scouring the area of operations without even a hint of the enemy, but that was all about to change.  2/4 was approaching a cluster of hamlets along the coast (dammit, I was supposed to use my beach mat, with dunes, but I was in a hurry and forgot!) and began fanning out to try and get in as quickly as possible, hoping to catch the Viet Cong before they'd made their escape.  But the VC were crafty, had long played this game along the "Street Without Joy," and were already evacuating, leaving behind only a handful of fighters to harass the advancing Marines.  And, or course, the squad was about to run into one such group of stay behinds.

Sergeant Little called a halt and motioned for his fireteam leaders to join him, briefing them on the situation.  "So the El-tee wants us to split off to the northeast, so we are on the far left, there are no friendlies to our left.  As usual, battalion wants us to rush in to catch Charlie before he dee-dees* outta the area, but we all know how that goes, so let's stay frosty and take our time on this."  "Roger," replied Corporal Nelson.  Sgt Little gave Cpl Nelson a furtive glance and murmured "I'm sorry brother, if there was anything I could do, I would..."  "I know, Rob, and it's okay.  Don't you jokers sweat me, I'm two days and a wake-up, I'll be back in the World in no time," replied Cpl Nelson.  "No, it ain't alright," Nik erupted, "I can't believe battalion's got Rock out here humpin' with only days left in country!  This is bull@#$%!!!"  "Alright, alright, calm down, and get your @#$% together, we got a job to do, now move out!"

*"Dee-dees" is a bastardization of "di-di mau," which is Vietnamese for 'leave,' or something to that effect.

Overview, north is up.  The area is nice and flat, the river running from northwest (top left) to southeast (bottom right), with small villages dotting the area (top left, bottom left, top right, and far right), a hardball road running north-south west of the river (left), rice paddies dominating the north and northeast, and heavy foliage scattered throughout.

The initial set up: Sgt Little and Nik's 3rd Fireteam search a ville (bottom center) as Cpl Nelson's 1st Fireteam (bottom right) and Danny's 2nd Fireteam (left center) pull security.

The Marines warily cross the river.

Where they set about searching the next hamlet.

Nik (far right) takes a puff on his cigarette and tosses another stone at Danny (left) as 1st Fireteam completes its search an steps off (top left) for the next village.

But the enemy is out there and about to act...

And the VC (bottom center right) trigger the ambush, cutting loose with a long burst from the RPD at Cpl Nelson's 1st Fireteam (top left, with Danny's 2nd Fireteam at top right)!

Once again things get bleak for the beleaguered Marines.

To see how the fight turned out, please check the blog at:
https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2021/03/two-brothers-fight-18.html

Next fight coming soon.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great report Jack, can't wait for the next one
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

bigjackmac

Techno II

Another real goody, Jack !

Cheers - Phil  :)

bigjackmac