New Troops for a New Campaign

Started by bigjackmac, 31 December 2020, 03:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

Thanks guys, and I appreciate the feedback on the roads, FSN.  If I did make/buy some winter roads, I'd still want some dirt showing through, for exactly the reason you mentioned.

V/R,
Jack

Techno II

Another real goodie, Jack !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil  :)

steve_holmes_11

bigjackmac

Thank you, Phil and Steve, I appreciate it.

And One Hour Wargames is a distinct possibility, thank Lemmey!

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

0600-1400 local time
16 December 1944
Hosingen, Belgium
US 110th Regiment, 28th Infantry Division vs 77th Regiment, 26th Volksgrenadier Division

Here we are for the second fight of our 'Battle of the Bulge" campaign.  The first fight saw German paratroopers move up and toss the US Cavalrymen out of Losheim, and now we've got a pack of Volksgrenadiers looking to do the same to a bunch of Pennsylvanians in Hosingen!  In an attempt to speed the game up a bit I have changed the force structure: instead of each stand/vehicle being a game 'element,' now each group of stands (representing a platoon) is an element.  For example, the US has seven platoons comprised of 21 stands; instead of 21 game elements we have only seven, which I'm hoping will substantially shorten the game time.  Additionally, instead of using Bolt Action's 'dice draw' method for activation we are using 5Core's activation rolls (with normal, scurries, and firefights).

Overview, north is up.  Another flat map, with a river running roughly east/west, paralleled by roads in the north and south, until they run into Hosingen itself.  Lots of thick woods to the east, with a couple buildings in the southeast (bottom right), and some stone walls in the fields at center and bottom left.  Hosingen is a substantial village, severely bombed out (maybe not in real life, but all the buildings in my campaign are bombed out).

Looking west down the road into Hosingen.

The Germans cross the Line of Departure.

US mortars (bottom left) begin working the Germans over (top right).

But the Germans are into the town and engaging the US tanks at close range.

To see how the fight turned out, please check the blog at:
https://hakunamatatawars.blogspot.com/2021/01/battle-of-bulge-campaign-fight-2.html?m=1

Anyway, fight number three coming soon.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

bigjackmac

paulr

15 January 2021, 06:32:35 AM #22 Last Edit: 15 January 2021, 06:34:16 AM by paulr
Indeed well played the boy, he will learn by making a few mistakes ;)
And nobody gets hurt :)

Interesting question about question about game duration, would playing in two sessions help, or would it be too hard to get back into it :-

If a 6x4 is too big a game how about a 4x4... rather than the much smaller 3x3 or 2x2 :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno II

Cracking report, Jack !!  :-bd

Cheers - Phil  :)

bigjackmac

Thanks Phil, and good questions Paul.  Regarding playing out a game over multiple sessions, it's always an option I suppose, but I prefer to 'stay in the moment' and knock it out all in one shot.  Not to mention, if you're going to play a massive campaign with two hundred fights, we really need to be knocking out multiple games per session, which is why you often see me playing on 2' x 2' tables with very simple terrain.

But I've glommed onto the same idea: playing in 15mm I can't really go 3' x 3' or smaller, but I am going to give 4' x 4' a try, with fewer units on table, using a Bolt Action-style set of rules.

And yes, he's learning, and we're having a great time.

V/R,
Jack

Jonny

Your miniatures and terrain look incredible!

paulr

Quote from: bigjackmac on 15 January 2021, 03:00:03 PM
And yes, he's learning, and we're having a great time.

And you can't really ask for more than that :-bd :-bd :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

bigjackmac

Thank you, Jonny, I appreciate it!

And that is absolutely correct, Paul ;)

V/R,
Jack

pierre the shy

Great stuff as usual Jack  :)

Your table looks like those winter photos that FSN posted.

I love your campaign sector map, and the idea of letting your boys play the Americans being a bit of a "learning curve", the Bulge is an ideal setting for such games.

I finally even got inspired enough myself to design, play and blog a small WW2 aerial campaign using a variant of your simple WW2 aerial rules: https://betweenthelines10mm.blogspot.com/ ....I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you had a spare moment.  

Thanks for the inspiration  :-bd

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

bigjackmac

Thanks Pierre, and sorry, just saw this, I'll definitely check out your dogfights ASAP!

V/R,
Jack