Brexit Update

Started by Leon, 28 December 2020, 10:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamingpig0

It would be interesting to know how much money British wargame companies make out of selling to the EU
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Leon

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 29 December 2020, 09:58:54 PM
It would be interesting to know how much money British wargame companies make out of selling to the EU

This year our EU sales have been about 15% of our turnover (UK is 70%, North America 12%, RoW 3%).
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

Quote from: Leon on 29 December 2020, 08:49:41 PM
Nothing confirmed yet, but I believe that we would charge you Belgian VAT on the purchase (as the sale happened in Belgium) and then we would have to complete a customs declaration at the EU/UK border to say how much product we sold.  We'd then have to pay the correct VAT, either on the spot or they would invoice us for later payment.  

I think the extra paperwork and charges will make Crisis very difficult for UK traders, as many of the smaller ones are not VAT-registered in the UK, so the Belgian VAT would be an additional expense that they do not usually have.  They would have to either sell at their usual prices and pay the VAT out of their profits.  Or add the VAT on top of their prices which could reduce the potential sales.  

That latter issue is a problem for a lot of smaller UK companies now, as their larger competitors can remove the VAT from EU orders to make the product appear cheaper.  And the smaller companies packages will still get caught by EU customs and get the additional charges added, making them a lot more expensive.

Thankfully Netscape had disappeared before I started college...!

Ok, hopefully the impact will not be too bad, would be a shame to lose the uk traders at crisis! There's a lot of non uk traders that xome to crisis, but a lot of them are resellers. Would be a shame to see the manufacturers themselves stay away.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

One point to remeber - on the customs declaration form for BKC/CWC/FWC and suplements don't forget to put publication on it, otherwise the customs will chare VAT. Got caught that way once.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

Quote from: ianrs54 on 30 December 2020, 11:58:43 AM
One point to remeber - on the customs declaration form for BKC/CWC/FWC and suplements don't forget to put publication on it, otherwise the customs will chare VAT. Got caught that way once.

I'll make a note to check on that, it's done electronically through the Royal Mail system now so it should be OK.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

John Cook

I'm not worried in the slightest.  Which has about the easiest to digest and sensible explanation of what the Brexit Agreement means for the consumer.  See https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/12/brexit-deal-what-it-means-for-food-prices-consumer-rights-and-more/

Essentially prices of food and goods will not increase because no tariffs are being applied to goods or food traded between the UK and the EU, unless there are fluctuations in exchange rate/supply/demand, which has always been the case.   

I predict that in twelve months time it will be as if nothing had changed. 

Orcs

Quote from: John Cook on 31 December 2020, 02:23:08 PM
I'm not worried in the slightest.  Which has about the easiest to digest and sensible explanation of what the Brexit Agreement means for the consumer.  See https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/12/brexit-deal-what-it-means-for-food-prices-consumer-rights-and-more/

Essentially prices of food and goods will not increase because no tariffs are being applied to goods or food traded between the UK and the EU, unless there are fluctuations in exchange rate/supply/demand, which has always been the case.   

I predict that in twelve months time it will be as if nothing had changed. 

Yep I totally agree John
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

sean66

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 29 December 2020, 09:58:54 PM

I think a few of the company's will have roughly the same turn over as Leon mentions.
I know that GW has 2 shops in Nuremberg selling their stuff (1 is a GW)
So it'll be interesting to see how they manage. I find the German Wargaming scene
Was mostly Sci Fi or earlier wargaming. They seemed to shy away from WW1
And 2.
Tactica in Hamburg only really had 2 U.K. vendors the last few times I've gone
Regards
Sean

John Cook

They will manage fine, I'm sure.  Imports from UK will not attract tariffs and Mehrwertsteuer (German VAT) will be applied in accordance with EU rules, as it always has.

Last Hussar

Every expert says it's not that simple.

We have chosen not to charge tariffs (which has it's own knock on), but the paperwork now has to be done. It's not just about the price of lettuce.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

John Cook

Every 'expert' has been predicting doom and gloom for the past four years and the media has been uniformly negative.  They have all been wrong so far. The UK exports more to the rest of the world than it does to the EU and the 'paperwork' does not seem to be an impediment to that.  I just don't see it as an issue.  On balance I would have preferred we remained in the EU but it is what it is. 

flamingpig0

Quote from: John Cook on 01 January 2021, 02:19:37 PM
Every 'expert' has been predicting doom and gloom for the past four years and the media has been uniformly negative. 

You haven't noticed the Murdoch and Barclay brothers press????
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: John Cook on 01 January 2021, 02:19:37 PM
Every 'expert' has been predicting doom and gloom for the past four years and the media has been uniformly negative.  They have all been wrong so far. The UK exports more to the rest of the world than it does to the EU and the 'paperwork' does not seem to be an impediment to that.  I just don't see it as an issue.  On balance I would have preferred we remained in the EU but it is what it is. 
Hear him!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

paulr

I'm a little surprised Techno hasn't issued one of his 'politics' warnings, all have been very civil so far...
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

02 January 2021, 02:08:08 AM #29 Last Edit: 02 January 2021, 02:14:22 AM by John Cook
Quote from: paulr on 02 January 2021, 01:48:55 AM
I'm a little surprised Techno hasn't issued one of his 'politics' warnings, all have been very civil so far...

Yes it has been very civil so I suppose that is why.  The thing is it isn't really political per se, it's a bit more parochial than that and related to fears about the wargames business.  But, I'm done on the subject except to say that I'm sure it is going to be fine in the end, people will get used to the new rules and regulations and I look forward to a trade deal with the US so I can buy stuff tariff-free from Good Ground and Tin Soldier.