The Battle for the Grunberg

Started by Steve J, 24 December 2020, 09:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Norm

Steve, hugely enjoyable. Firstly, thanks for doing all of the work of recording a game and then doing a write-up. I know how much effort has to go in to something like that, being Christmas Eve just adds to your time pressure and your willingness to sign up to this is stellar!

Great game with a ton of action in a smallish space - once again showing the virtue of such games. It would be interesting to see how another system would deal with this because I am convinced that the variables and chaos that falls out of Black Powder gave this game much of its oomph and narrative.

A classic Black Powder moment was when the hill was open and ready for the taking and von Reitzenstein failed to move his troops forward and seize the moment.

Also having studied the maps before play, to suddenly see that landscape come to life with the walls and fields added was an excellent touch. It leaves the army commander to make choices about the big sweeping stuff and then local commanders on the ground suddenly have to deal with local terrain and the opportunities / frustrations that that can cause.

Thanks again, very much enjoyed. I am going to read it again later with coffee in hand :-)

Steve J

Thanks Norm and the pleasure was all mine :). Having been reading a lot ACW history of late, the overall commanders often had only the most cursory knowledge of the terrain, so their orders could come up short when the commanders in the field as it were came across unexpected fences, boggy ground etc. I think this adds another level of fun to the game, but it may not be for everyone.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

Playing solo but following orders from others looks to be working really well :-bd

I'm happy to provide orders if you run out of more local commanders
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Thanks both and Paul, I've added your name to the list :).

Techno II

Excellent, Steve !!

Cheers - Phil  :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

sunjester