Warlord Games Epic ACW Battles

Started by Steve J, 20 December 2020, 10:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

I 've just seen that Warlord Games are releasing the following early next year, with a free sprue with Wargames Illustrated. No idea what scale the figures are as it doesn't say. Interesting that another company is offering smaller scale figures.

https://store.warlordgames.com/products/epic-battles-american-civil-war?_pos=1&_sid=935cb77c9&_ss=r

fred.

Scale seems a little ambiguous at the minute, discussion on LAF suggests small 15s
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mollinary

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

rct75001

Me and a few others were discussing yesterday and trying to work it out.  Finally found the 13.5mm to the eyes.  The bit we are still baffled by is 30 battalions meaning 3000 figs - 100 per battalion??

I think they would benefit from greater clarity in the way they marketed it - maybe needed to rush the ad out??  But another scale?

Richard
And she said "You haven't bought more of those little men have you?"

https://rctlittlesoldiers.blogspot.com.au

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jimduncanuk

Quote from: rct75001 on 20 December 2020, 10:37:40 PM
Me and a few others were discussing yesterday and trying to work it out.  Finally found the 13.5mm to the eyes.  The bit we are still baffled by is 30 battalions meaning 3000 figs - 100 per battalion??

I think they would benefit from greater clarity in the way they marketed it - maybe needed to rush the ad out??  But another scale?

Richard

Each battalion has 5 bases, 20 figures (2 strips of 10) per base, one of the bases is a command base.

Worth a look.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Norm

If there are 5 bases to the regiment, this is still going to be a big table game. If 1 base to a regiment, then significantly less so. I'm not sure I would want to paint or own 100 figure regiments even on a fast paint basis.

Size wise, they probably need to be seen in the flesh for gamers to decide whether they want to lock themselves into the scale and there also needs to be some certainty that other elements will follow shortly (cav, mounted and dismounted), surprising that these do not make an appearance as part of the initial line-up.

The best thing about this, with their advertising power, it will force our media to shine a light on the smaller scales and wargame shows will start to get the proper scale diversity going on, with both demo games and traders supporting smaller scales. About time too.

Steve J

QuoteThe best thing about this, with their advertising power, it will force our media to shine a light on the smaller scales and wargame shows will start to get the proper scale diversity going on, with both demo games and traders supporting smaller scales. About time too.

I completely agree Norm.

As for them being 13.5mm to the eye, you might as well call them 15mm!

Smoking gun

I've seen on another forum they are cast in strips with the figures joined at the upper arms.

Best wishes,
Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

Leon

Another odd decision which seems to be more for commercial reasons than benefiting the hobby, but I suppose newcomers into wargaming might see it as a handy starting point to jump in?  I can't get my head around the scaling though, why choose something as random as 13.5mm?!  I've seen the updated images where it looks like they'll match up with Kallistra but I'd imagine that's more coincidence than any planned result.

But they're obviously a much bigger company than us so they must know what they're doing!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Smoking gun on 21 December 2020, 07:43:52 PM
I've seen on another forum they are cast in strips with the figures joined at the upper arms.

They should be a breeze to paint.

For Union paint the whole strip black, paint the upper half of the body dark blue, paint the trousers sky blue, black on crossbelts, brown/gunmetal on muskets, dab of flesh on face/hands. Done.

For Rebs a bit more grey and butternut.
My Ego forbids a signature.

paulr

Quote from: Leon on 21 December 2020, 10:01:51 PM
Another odd decision which seems to be more for commercial reasons than benefiting the hobby, but I suppose newcomers into wargaming might see it as a handy starting point to jump in?  I can't get my head around the scaling though, why choose something as random as 13.5mm?!  I've seen the updated images where it looks like they'll match up with Kallistra but I'd imagine that's more coincidence than any planned result.

But they're obviously a much bigger company than us so they must know what they're doing!

I agree more with you first comment than your last ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Warlord do have history of acquiring figure ranges putting them into production, then leaving them rather isolated.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

Great if either you are 15 and just getting into wargaming (as opposed to the mighty, ferociously endless despicable.......etc,etc) or just getting into the ACW. Otherwise there are more complete and more varied options elsewhere. As for epic - 2/3mm, 6mm or 10mm seems to be the best bet.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

flamingpig0

Quote from: Leon on 21 December 2020, 10:01:51 PM

It is to stop people using their existing figures
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James